Fat Chick

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mommto3kiddos, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    I recently separated my 2 cornichX chicks from my egg layers b/c they were eating 24/7.. After I moved them I started taking their food out at night. I have one chick that is FAT.. She even hates to stand to eat, just sits by the bowl and stuffs her face. Well I noticed this morning that her belly feathers are "rubbed" off. I thought she was wet so I went to dry her belly off and its just skin, shes rubbed most of the feathers off in a dime size area.. Is this normal?? My other chick is not as hefty and her belly is all feathered..

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    normal

3. terri9630

terri9630 Songster

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I don't think any of our meaties have had breast/belly feathers almost all lay down to eat. That's what they were bred for, few feathers and lots of meat.

4. Heluerto

Heluerto Chirping

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Some chickens are bred to grow a bit slower to avoid this, but it is perfectly normal, and it'll definitely save some time plucking if you are doing it by hand!

5. Bubbles_erin

Bubbles_erin In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Yes they tend to lose feathers. Mine too, do not have breast feathers and under their wings. I do a 12 hour on 12 hour off feeding schedule for all my birds. And it often is more like 10 hours on 14 off. I do have RIRs with my meaties too...two things to consider: don't make getting the food too easy, make them "work" for it so as to use some energy and get some excercise (ie spread food on floor rather than all in feeders), the other thing, perhaps get them out to graze, even if it is in a tractor. I am getting mine out of their brooder today or tomorrow to start grazing and getting more excercise/room to run around. But on the flip side, you dont want them to get too much either, it will make them tougher and grow slower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: