Fat chicken

I posted a couple photos.
Cornish X Chickens have been hybridized for fast growth and economical meat production, making them unsuitable for keeping as pets or laying hens. Because they grow so big, so fast that their legs and hearts are unable to withstand their bulky size, it isn’t a good idea to keep them much past their suggested butchering age of 8 weeks. So assuming she already has spent her life, there is nothing much you can do. I know it hurts but the best thing you can do is humanely euthanize your chicken.

I'm sorry you've had this experience and I hope it doesn't turn you off owning chickens. In the future make sure you know what you're getting as I'm guessing you got her from a feed store that didn't explain. Sadly this happens all too often to people who fall for the beautiful fuzzy chicks.

Avoid Cornish cross, Cornish rocks, meat birds, broilers...

Any others people can think of?

I'm sorry you've had this experience and I hope it doesn't turn you off owning chickens. In the future make sure you know what you're getting as I'm guessing you got her from a feed store that didn't explain. Sadly this happens all too often to people who fall for the beautiful fuzzy chicks.

Avoid Cornish cross, Cornish rocks, meat birds, broilers...

Any others people can think of?
Some of the sex-link layers are very short lived and do not make great pets, either. A nice pet is a Buff Orpington or Easter-egger. They are pretty calm and friendly, longer lived than the hybrids.

I will say that we've had Isa Brown hybrid layers and they were very personable.

Most of our flock consists of English and few American Orpingtons, EE, slw, Speckled Sussex, silkies, cream legbar, and oegb with miscellaneous other breeds in small numbers. We're also adding buckeyes but they're not in with the main flock yet. Soon though. I hope they do well.

Other breeds include cuckoo Marans, deleware, Salmon favorelles, sebright, barred rocks(the jury is still out on them), Dominiques, brahmas, a few mixes, I'm sure I'm forgetting a breed or two lol

I really like our orps and they make great pets. EE, Speckled Sussex, Marans, Favorelles, brahmas, silkies and legbars all do pretty well if handled regularly and gently growing up.

Some breeds like people more than others. Some of my very friendliest birds are my oegb, but of course they're tiny and not the best layers.

I have a few super friendly EE and some not as friendly, they're okay with people and frankly still maturing.

I have found most EE have a phase where they think you're the devil and then they settle when they start laying. Lol.

This also depends on their space and if they feel trapped or not. Our birds always settle down much more when finally moved out of the grow outs.

Whoops sorry this was so long lol once I start talking chicken I can't seem to stop.

Don't tell DH2B that I admitted to that lol I'll never hear the end of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom