Fat chickens can barely walk

My husband just helped me weigh them, and I was quite wrong on their weights:
Red - 9# 6oz
Noodle - 11#
I’m so sorry for giving inaccurate weights at the start! I also just had my husband check their keel bones with me, and he said 4 is a more accurate number on the chart. As a side note, Brahma is almost 2 years old and I weighed her too - she only weighs 7# 3oz. She is still finishing up her molt though.

I am absolutely floored at how smart everyone is regarding chickens - even being able to tell breeds and sizes from pictures. I appreciate all of your help so much!!

Last edited:
Is “broiler hen” another name for meat bird?
Yes, "broiler" is another name for meat bird.

Many broiler chickens grow so quickly that they get butchered around 8 weeks old, and if they are not butchered they may die of a heart attack or similar problem by the time they reach 10 to 12 weeks old.

Obviously, your hens do NOT have that extreme level of growth, since they have already lived for several years without dying!

Once the bumblefoot is cleared up, your hens may be able to go back to the way they lived before. Or they may always need their food restricted a bit, and some encouragement to get extra exercise. You won't know for sure until you see how they do.

But if yours were bred to be some kind of broiler, they will be heavier and meatier than most other chickens. That will matter when you try to decide what weight and what shape is healthy for them.

Yes, "broiler" is another name for meat bird.

Many broiler chickens grow so quickly that they get butchered around 8 weeks old, and if they are not butchered they may die of a heart attack or similar problem by the time they reach 10 to 12 weeks old.

Obviously, your hens do NOT have that extreme level of growth, since they have already lived for several years without dying!

Once the bumblefoot is cleared up, your hens may be able to go back to the way they lived before. Or they may always need their food restricted a bit, and some encouragement to get extra exercise. You won't know for sure until you see how they do.

But if yours were bred to be some kind of broiler, they will be heavier and meatier than most other chickens. That will matter when you try to decide what weight and what shape is healthy for them.
They don’t like me very much, so I can chase them all over the yard, when they are moving better, to get them some exercise. Wouldn’t hurt me either! 😂

Back
Top Bottom