Fat chickens can barely walk

Pics
Neighbors think Im crazy whenever I chase the chickens tryin to catch them, bannies are the hardest lol 😂
Nope.. I come bearing treats in a corner for my one 'no touchy' girl. She's getting better about not spooking or staying away when I'm near, but still does not like to be touched.

Better and easier to use treat motivation to your advantage. Mix it up and don't offer them treats every time too. In psychological studies, this sort of random reward training actually gives better results than a treat every time. - it's why gambling is so effective.

If there's the possibility of a treat, they'll put more effort in, even if they strut away with an empty tummy in the end.

Get a treat bucket or treat call worked out - saves so much hassle. Less time put into chasing chooks when you make them come to you.

They don’t like me very much, so I can chase them all over the yard, when they are moving better, to get them some exercise. Wouldn’t hurt me either! 😂

If they are actually scared and running fast, that might be bad for them.

But I've had plenty of chickens who just like plenty of personal space-- when I walk close to them, they walk away a bit. If that's how yours act, you can probably get them to walk all over the yard without too much stress for you or them :) I agree that could be a good way to them exercise. (Although carrying a container of food and having them chase you would probably work just as well.)

Nope.. I come bearing treats in a corner for my one 'no touchy' girl. She's getting better about not spooking or staying away when I'm near, but still does not like to be touched.

Better and easier to use treat motivation to your advantage. Mix it up and don't offer them treats every time too. In psychological studies, this sort of random reward training actually gives better results than a treat every time. - it's why gambling is so effective.

If there's the possibility of a treat, they'll put more effort in, even if they strut away with an empty tummy in the end.

Get a treat bucket or treat call worked out - saves so much hassle. Less time put into chasing chooks when you make them come to you.
Sounds like a good idea on a smaller operation 🤟 If I have to chase a chicken its because they got outta their breeding pens or chicken tractors when feeding or watering lol you always have one escapy 😂

That sucks. What am I going to tell the adorable things when they swarm me and jump up and down for treats??
Same as kids "this hurts me more than it hurts you" :)

I would strongly advise against this, as they might get a stress-induced heart attack.
As might the chicken exerciser!

....but chasing chickens from the bottom of the paddock back to the barn is such good exercise! My crew won't even come for treats when the great outdoors is theirs to explore haha!

I guess fallen leaves and worms are more thrilling! 😄

5D54FC0F-26A5-401D-8ACE-84EA201A0EE5.jpeg
This is my “fat” girl, Dionne Warwick. She looks fatter in person, but she’s got the ideal keel and is a healthy weight— she’s just a Rhode Island Red. She actually weighs less than my Red Star.

Back
Top Bottom