Fat girls

Can a hen be too fat? They even have a lot of trouble jumping up on the roost

You are on the meat bird forum so you are in the right place.

Cornish X are bred to grow really fast and be butchered at around 6 to 8 weeks when fed the way meat birds ae usually fed. Even then you often restrict feed to avoid them growing so big so fast their heart give out or their skeleton breaks down. You can keep them longer but you really have to watch how much they eat to have any consistent success.

Rangers are also a meat bird. They are bred to grow a little slower than the Cornish X and rely more on pasture instead of feeding them everything they eat. If you feed them a meat bird diet they probably should be butchered somewhere around 12 weeks old. With more restricted feeding they can go longer. But they also are bred to put on a lot of weight. They can also grow so large that their heart can give out or their skeleton break down. For a large bird that large jumping down from a roost is a challenge. It can easily lead to a damaged leg, probably more at risk for being dislocated rather than broken, but broken bones can happen.

Females that age can have a fair amount of fat in them, much more so than the boys, but most of what you are seeing is probably more meat than fat. They are bred to produce meat.

There are threads on this forum where people have tried to keep Rangers alive long enough for them to mate and produce hatching eggs. Many people do manage that but it takes work. Most say those hens do not make it to a second laying season.

Rangers are bred to put on a lot of meat and to be butchered young. They are not bred to be kept as a long term member of a flock.

Good luck but I think you are fighting a losing battle. It is likely to already be too late to restrict their feed. It is a pretty fine line to not feed them so much that they eat themselves to death but yet eat enough to stay healthy.

One of my RedRanger girls. Too big?
Yes, I would no longer get a bird considered as meat birds. I didn’t realize what a red ranger was until after I got them. I thought they were like a Rhode Island red because of their color. Now I know. I have daytime raccoon problems and I can’t let them forage in the backyard anymore since I had an attack in November. I do let them get in the grass in 15 x 5 mobile pen but only while I’m out there so it’s not for very long at a time because I am still scared about the raccoons.

Attachments

• 726E777E-655A-4598-9D30-DF0126FEE1F1.jpeg
    726E777E-655A-4598-9D30-DF0126FEE1F1.jpeg
    844.3 KB · Views: 7
Could you trap the raccoons or call animal control or something maybe?
I was able to get two of them. One ran off with the trap on its foot the other one met its demise at the end of a shovel! The raccoon attack happened in the middle of the afternoon and I am just still skittish about letting them out without being able to stay with them 100%. I would even be too nervous to go inside just use the bathroom for a few minutes. It stinks because they were so happy being able to run around the yard all summer.

I’m definitely going to try to help them slim down a bit since it’s my responsibility to take the best care of them as possible.

I was able to get two of them. One ran off with the trap on its foot the other one met its demise at the end of a shovel! The raccoon attack happened in the middle of the afternoon and I am just still skittish about letting them out without being able to stay with them 100%. I would even be too nervous to go inside just use the bathroom for a few minutes. It stinks because they were so happy being able to run around the yard all summer.
That’s totally understandable!! I hope you’re able to catch the others so they can go out again!! I get nervous about predators too because we have a lot of hawks and have lost several to them but they’re so happy when they’re out that I feel bad not letting them out so I take my chances but I totally understand not wanting to because I used to be like that too. I still somewhat am and usually keep them locked up for a few days to a week or whatever after attacks. But we also have a lot of land and places to hide so I don’t worry as much but I do still worry because our house/yard is basically one big clearing so prime hunting spot even with the hiding spots. We also have raccoons, foxes, coyotes, etc. but don’t usually have an issue with them other than them investigating the run sometimes. I have lost some to foxes I think though.

Maybe this would help with your raccoon problem?

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-plus-48-inch-starter-kit?cat_id=190

I’ll look into that, appears it’s not affected by touching the grass or weeds like some electric fence kits I’ve seen.

It's the one I have.

The bottom wire is neutral so it can touch the ground, but like any electric fence you need to keep things trimmed.

I didn't find it troublesome to leave the ladies in their coop late once every week or two during the summer so I could pull the fence back and mow the fenceline. I will admit that I had it up on centipede grass on flat terrain so I could cut on the lowest setting for maximum time between cuts.

Back
Top Bottom