Fat girls

Jo Bird

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
I purchased what was called Red Rangers, several months ago just to add to my flock. I couldn’t find any definite answers as to what breed of chickens create them except that they are raised as dual purpose birds. These two girls are now five months old and are 6 to 7 pounds. They are so chubby they look like ducks waddling. They are both very good eaters and will try pretty much everything I offer the flock. Even when the rest of the girls turn their nose up at it they will eat it. Can a hen be too fat? They even have a lot of trouble jumping up on the roost at night.

I purchased what was called Red Rangers, several months ago just to add to my flock. I couldn’t find any definite of answers as to what breed of chickens create them except that they are raised as dual purpose birds. These two girls are now five months old and are 6 to 7 pounds. They are so chubby they look like ducks waddling. They are both very good eaters and will try pretty much everything I offer the flock. Even when the rest of the girls turn their nose up at it they will eat it. Can a hen be too fat? They even have a lot of trouble jumping up on the roost at night.
Do they digest all of their food by the morning, like is their sac empty in the morning?

pictures?
Chickens can get sour crop if they eat too much. I have never had a chicken be tooo obese though without having sour crop.

I purchased what was called Red Rangers, several months ago just to add to my flock. I couldn’t find any definite of answers as to what breed of chickens create them except that they are raised as dual purpose birds. These two girls are now five months old and are 6 to 7 pounds. They are so chubby they look like ducks waddling. They are both very good eaters and will try pretty much everything I offer the flock. Even when the rest of the girls turn their nose up at it they will eat it. Can a hen be too fat? They even have a lot of trouble jumping up on the roost at night.
Yes a bird can be too fat. It can be tricky getting them into shape though when they’re part of a larger group. I’m not sure how to restrict food for just a couple of flock members without isolation.

I’m not sure, as I don’t get to see them before I leave for work in the mornings. I will make an effort to check them Saturday morning

Yes a bird can be too fat. It can be tricky getting them into shape though when they’re part of a larger group. I’m not sure how to restrict food for just a couple of flock members without isolation.

I figure they’re heavy because of the fact that they are considered a meat bird, but at five months old they are about twice as heavy as the rest of my girls

Back
Top Bottom