Fat Hen Over Eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady Watcher, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Lady Watcher

Lady Watcher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2016
    So I have this dominique hen who is about 2 months old, and her food pouch is extremely huge. I didn't give her a lot of food (and 4 others), but she's a real pig when it comes to eating. She's really wobbly and it doesn't look healthy. Can she over eat? Do I have to seperate her for a while and feed her seperate? Her fellow dominique hens have also had big ones(not nearly as big), but right now she's the only fat one.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I probably wouldn't worry too much at that age, but if she is still a piggy when she is close to laying, you may need to try to control her overeating. Does she go out to free range during the day? What type of feed do you use, and are they getting anything extra? Are you using chick or poultry grit to eat as they need it?

3. Lady Watcher

Dec 18, 2016
    I use Purina starter feed, She's in a big coop right now, because she doesn't know it's her official home yet, but when I put food down, she's the first and tears it up! (The feed)

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

5. Lady Watcher

Dec 18, 2016
    At first, always, but she ate too much, so we started doing it at certain times.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Growing chicks need unlimited feed during daylight hours. A chick will not overeat feed. It's normal for chicks to fill their crops throughout the day. They have a lot of growing to do, and they need that feed to fuel their growth. Chicks with full crops can seem unsettling to new chick owners, but it's pretty normal.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Once she is locked in her coop for seven days, then she can be let outside to free range, and she will return to her coop at roost time. Usually, when they have grass and bugs to look for they might be more likely to not overeat. But don't limit her food.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You say her crop is large and she is wobbly and looks unwell...........Possible sour crop or impacted crop?

Cheers!

10. Lady Watcher

Dec 18, 2016
    I'll look into it! Never heard of it before! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by