Fat hens need a diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ravenseye57, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ravenseye57

ravenseye57 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Some of my hens have gotten too fat, even though they are pastured and I feed a good quality organic feed and not too many treats. The fat ones are mostly 2 !/2 yrs old. I have the ability to separate them for the winter and put them on a reducing diet, since their only feed will be what I give them during this season. Any suggestions on how much to feed or what to feed my fatties? I don't think they're laying well, so it's lose and lay or I'll have to consider culling. I just can't afford to feed fat hens that don't lay.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Are you sure its not just their breed? Some breeds are heavier than others and some are just heavily feathered. If not, maybe your hens just need exercise and smaller amounts of food.

[​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Define fat.

If you think they're overweight just cause they're not laying, that's incorrect. Older hens just take the winter off. It's totally normal and expected for them. It's why many folks chose to cull them at 18ish months. You have to balance the cost of feeding a nonproducing hen over the winter vs feeding chicks to laying age.

4. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Could be nice thick feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by