Fatten up a dog

Here's pictures of my mom's 2yr old boy, Bishop. He's got the leaner pitty build and is also SUPER active. Although he's lean he's not ribby like I have seen some dogs, they definitly Shouldnt be ribby. I think your boy, Sprocket, looks great and healthy. His coat does seem dull though and those foods with all the fillers can end up causing skin/coat problems and such so I would definitely suggest getting him onto a better quality food.

Try homemade recipes if you're just looking to bulk them up, it'd be MUCH healthier. But, like some have already said, that black one is definitely a thick dog and i think his size is great & wouldnt change a thing!

100_5659.JPG

100_5644.JPG

100_7115.JPG

DSC00354.JPG

Quote:
I do think that she does look a little on the thin side from this pic....
Just my opinion though...

A properly balanced diet and healthy environment. What goes in comes out through the skin layers. You feed garbage you get a bad coat and unhealthy animal. Plus, knowing your animal. Each dog reacts to each feed differently. There is no one good food for any one breed.

Hi,
You may try to just put them on a better quality kibble. It's more expensive at first until you realize that you are feeding less and the dogs are healthier. My dogs get a mix of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and a raw diet.

Little hint I've learned (the hard way lol) Do not feed raw food and kibble in the same meal. Raw for one meal, kibble the next. Raw digests faster, kibble takes hours and hours to digest. The um, outcome was rather noxious. *shudder*

Here's a link to some books and articles to a raw diet. It's easier than it sounds and the dogs look and act great on it. My dogs have never been healthier or happier since I've switched.

Best wishes!

Look around for foods that have a low % of grain in them - it doesn't have to be any particular name brand.

Homemade things - go to a butcher near you or even a local big place and see if they will sell you scrap meats for cheap (the fatty/extra trimmings and clearance meats) feed these to your dogs, some veggies like carrots and potatoe dogs love - boil veggies and them mash them mix with ground/small cut raw meat. - I use a cheaper food (southern states brand - 1/2-1 cup dry food mixed with 1-2 cups raw meat and veggies - (I feed less in summer more in winter) sometimes cooked scraps and broth) Eggs (raw is better) are a great source of protein and helps promote healthy coat and skin. Teaspoon of olive oil mixed with their food is good for them and a teaspoon of vinegar in every gallon of water helps with parasites. Sproket does look alittle thin in the 2nd set of pictures and I would definately supplement her with some raw meat, boiled mashed veggies, and raw eggs.
a cheap easy way to get a meat diet for dogs is raise corturnix quail for meat for you and them - 1-2 quail a day for each dog depending on size. Quail start laying and are mature @ 6 weeks and you can butcher some in bulk and them raise up another few dozen every few weeks to always have a steady supply and you wouldn't need alot of room just a good incubator to hatch eggs, and 2-3 decent sized rabbit hutch style cages.

if you want a malnourished dog to get fatten within short period of time. you need follow a strict diet chart of proteins which get improvement of you dog soon from skinny to Fat dog.

This post is 7 years old.

But I do wonder whatever happened to these dogs and if they ever switched to a better food and gained or lost weight?

Also my dog seems to be losing weight fairly quickly lately but is also picky and goes off his food sometimes so maybe that's it? Going back to the vet soon but wondering if the satin balls would help fatten him up some?

Back
Top Bottom