Fatten up my roo!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MrsRodgers, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MrsRodgers

MrsRodgers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Ok, so my little flock went through a bout of respiratory problems, and after losing two of them, they seem to be past it for now. My lavender Orpington roo has made it through, but he is worse for wear. It seems to me that at almost 6 months, he should weigh a lot more. He eats good, but I think I'd like to help him out. Does anyone have any ideas for packing on some weight?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think just ample regular ol chicken feed will eventually put the weight back on him. I think many folks use scratch more liberally as the cold weather nears, to try to fatten their birds up a bit through the winter. So maybe that's the ticket???

1 person likes this.
  3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese. Give him some unflavored yogurt to make sure his intestinal flora are good too.

4. WaterFowl209

WaterFowl209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Turlock,CA.
    I'd try chopped corn from the husk and shredded potatoes and shredded carrots and cut down his exercise time so he can gain the weight needed also bread crumbs will definitely help out

5. MrsRodgers

MrsRodgers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks for the helpful answers....unfortunately, he has gone. I wonder, had I known that I would lose so many...would I have gotten them in the first place? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by