Faverolles Thread

Duh. C and D are going to be supported either with bamboo rods or with 2x2s and probably with stapes and tape. I think I might try this foil tape I have seen but I will take suggestions. I know packing doesn't hold up under the sun or wind. I wonder if there is a glue I could use, or caulking in the seems? I am mostly worried about the wind. We get some really fierce ones where I am located and nearly all fall and spring. I think the wind comes off the road, down into the pond and then up the bank into our field as it heads onward across the road to the open field across the street. We really need more evergreen barriers to break it up a bit. The chickens around here need anchors or flight training and homing beacons.

I have found rolling the tarp edge around scrap wood and nailing works great

My plan worked brilliantly! Much like when your child has been ill all weekend and you beg the pediatrician's office for a same day appointment and the kids fever breaks on the way to the office, I posted in a panic, got great advice and had 4 NORMAL eggs show up today. I did do a bug check and got nothing. I did not mention it but they do have access to oyster shell so the weird eggs is a little baffling but they are all young hens so maybe that has something to do with it. They do free range but they don't get far from me. Follow me around like puppies. It would be tough for them to lay without me knowing it. I can't leave them alone cuz I have a bob cat.

also, seeing some increase in feathers everywhere. Might be a molt coming on.

and Mame if my hens hid 40 eggs from me, I might be tempted to put them all in a pot! Lol!

Ha-ha! Well, I guess we should have known that would happen! As long as the eggs are still fairly firm, I wouldn't worry too much about the weird shapes. Young layers need time to "get their thing down." I thought about cooking up the eggs for the girls, but I had no idea how long they had been laying them, and didn't want to be caught with a stinker.

I remember reading somewhere that the color on the egg shell will lighten as the chicken ages and will become darker again after they take a "laying break" to molt or for the winter.

As far as ripply shells, I have one girl (a sex-link) who had a vent prolapse when she first began laying and now (she is 2 years old) she occasionally lays lumpy wrinkled eggs and I wonder if it is related to her previous vent issues?
hu.gif

The shell does lighten over the course of the season, just as will the color of the legs, and a bit of the face color as well. Think of it as the bird having only so many pigments in her body - for every egg that is laid, pigments are used up. That's part of the reason for the egg stoppage/re-charge over the winter. Don't know how the prolapse history would relate to shape - just make sure she always has plenty of oyster shell available, as well as some good dark greens. Many prolapses occur from the poor girl trying to push out an egg that's too soft to respond to the muscles - like trying to lay a water balloon.

Hi All!

I can't believe it has taken me so long to discover the Faverolle. What a gorgeous chicken! I am hoping my order from Mr. Urch includes the three fav chicks I ordered instead of the substitutes. In either case, I'm going to be looking for more in the LF variety. Does anyone here sell hatching eggs shipped to the east coast (US), specifically, Virginia?

Are the Blue Salmon as easy to find as the standard Salmon? I do like blue chickens, but that black/salmon combination is pretty stunning as is.

Anyway, just wanted to say high before I catch up on reading this thread. Will probably join the breed club down the road too.

Seems like spring is coming closer - all the hibernating predatory types are emerging. Found skunk tracks in the snow yesterday, and a lovely smell under the coop. Raccoon prints too.

Migrants are returning. Turkey vultures were seen circling overhead. A goshawk buzzed a run this afternoon nearly giving my birds a heart attack.

A night flyer dispatched 2 rabbits this week leaving little behind but 2 unlucky rabbit feet. I found a barred owl last week on the deck eating out of the suet feeder, so I assume it's the same bird.

As for the 4-leggers, this is one of 2 I've seen come through even during the day. On the small side, so I assume they are pups from last year.

And this guy (a regular)

So make sure your birds are secure!

Hi All!

I can't believe it has taken me so long to discover the Faverolle. What a gorgeous chicken! I am hoping my order from Mr. Urch includes the three fav chicks I ordered instead of the substitutes. In either case, I'm going to be looking for more in the LF variety. Does anyone here sell hatching eggs shipped to the east coast (US), specifically, Virginia?

Are the Blue Salmon as easy to find as the standard Salmon? I do like blue chickens, but that black/salmon combination is pretty stunning as is.

Anyway, just wanted to say high before I catch up on reading this thread. Will probably join the breed club down the road too.
Hello!! :) Welcome to the thread, and to the breed!

Blue salmons are not as common as salmon, and even those can be difficult to get a hold of...my waiting list is quite long at the moment...

Duh. C and D are going to be supported either with bamboo rods or with 2x2s and probably with stapes and tape. I think I might try this foil tape I have seen but I will take suggestions. I know packing doesn't hold up under the sun or wind. I wonder if there is a glue I could use, or caulking in the seems? I am mostly worried about the wind. We get some really fierce ones where I am located and nearly all fall and spring. I think the wind comes off the road, down into the pond and then up the bank into our field as it heads onward across the road to the open field across the street. We really need more evergreen barriers to break it up a bit. The chickens around here need anchors or flight training and homing beacons.

I don't think you need a tarp, you need a WIND TURBINE!

Staples and tape will likely equal bye-bye tarp. I'd go with Sandra's suggestion. I made a lean-to shade for my girls out door run last year. 3 poles (about 2" diameter trees 16ish feet long) and three pieces of 8' long 3' wide corrugated steel roofing. Weighed a ton. Leaned the three poles against the barn wall with the other ends on the ground. Figured the wind would blow right under it since the openings were on the North and South sides, the direction of the strong winds. Wind flipped the thing onto the fence breaking 2 T posts. Point being, make sure yours is WELL secured to the ground and the coop (and hope the coop doesn't pull a Kansas house on the way to OZ trick.

And if this is to be a permanent sort of thing (seasonally), it might be worth the money to get a really heavy duty clear tarp with grommets already put in. Should be good for MANY MANY seasons. I used one to protect part of the front porch from blowing snow this year. 1 8x8 crystal clear tarp was a LOT cheaper than 2 pieces of 4x8 plexiglass. Heck, it was WAY cheaper than ONE sheet of plexi.

Seems like spring is coming closer - all the hibernating predatory types are emerging. Found skunk tracks in the snow yesterday, and a lovely smell under the coop. Raccoon prints too.

Migrants are returning. Turkey vultures were seen circling overhead. A goshawk buzzed a run this afternoon nearly giving my birds a heart attack.

A night flyer dispatched 2 rabbits this week leaving little behind but 2 unlucky rabbit feet. I found a barred owl last week on the deck eating out of the suet feeder, so I assume it's the same bird.

As for the 4-leggers, this is one of 2 I've seen come through even during the day. On the small side, so I assume they are pups from last year.

And this guy (a regular)

So make sure your birds are secure!

Um, I think the only thing I have to say is GAK!!
th.gif

What a lot of predators!

Bruce

Seems like spring is coming closer - all the hibernating predatory types are emerging. Found skunk tracks in the snow yesterday, and a lovely smell under the coop. Raccoon prints too. Migrants are returning. Turkey vultures were seen circling overhead. A goshawk buzzed a run this afternoon nearly giving my birds a heart attack. A night flyer dispatched 2 rabbits this week leaving little behind but 2 unlucky rabbit feet. I found a barred owl last week on the deck eating out of the suet feeder, so I assume it's the same bird. As for the 4-leggers, this is one of 2 I've seen come through even during the day. On the small side, so I assume they are pups from last year. And this guy (a regular) So make sure your birds are secure!
Wow I would be a nervous wreck if I had that many predators lining up to try and get my chooks!

Back
Top Bottom