Faverolles Thread

Split wing is a DQ in every breed. It is not something that will ever be overlooked. It is very prevalent in soft feathered birds, like Favs, Orps, and Brahmas, amongst others. It is extremely hard to get rid of, if you have other options for breeding, use something else. If the bird is exceptional in every other way, use it, and know that it is something you will fight probably forever. ;)

Ahhh, the sage has spoken
lol.png
Hi Cloverleaf! Wow, those options are like choosing between a rock and a hard place! If it was possible, I think I'd rather look for another breeding bird, rather than perpetuate a defect....In fact, that's what I did with P'Dub. I got more boys for breeding and P'Dub just stands around looking good
smile.png

I went out to get pics of the new chicks, but it's so nasty outside (cool & stormy), momma's keeping them covered very well....

Now my French Marans wants to sit on eggs, so I gave her a few Fav eggs. She's a happy camper now
jumpy.gif

Ugh! This is so frustrating!!! I'm trying to get a hold of this faverolles breeder so that I can get some faverolles but he isn't responding!
he.gif
But I think I will see him tomorrow night. (Hopefully)
fl.gif

I think it may just be the photo. It's looking at something making the neck longer. She has a second photo which the neck doesn't look as long in.

Split wing is a DQ in every breed. It is not something that will ever be overlooked. It is very prevalent in soft feathered birds, like Favs, Orps, and Brahmas, amongst others. It is extremely hard to get rid of, if you have other options for breeding, use something else. If the bird is exceptional in every other way, use it, and know that it is something you will fight probably forever.
wink.png
But can you really tell at 3-4 weeks? They aren't even fully feathered yet.

I have one showing split wing (half orpington) and it was obvious pretty well as soon as the primaries started coming in well - glaringly obvious by the time the chick was a week old. The primaries stick out at a funny angle, and when you spread the wing there's a definite GAP between the primary and secondary flight feathers. Almost like the last primary got plucked. It seems to actually be getting a little LESS obvious as the chick grows, the secondaries are covering up the gap and pushing the primaries into a less wonky-looking arrangement. But the gap is still there if you spread out the wing.

I have my first UofA chick from the birds I got last year drying in the bator...
celebrate.gif
So far I have hatched all boys this spring from the favs here so I am really hoping this one is a pullet.

LOL Rita...Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm afraid you give me much more credit than what may be due ;)

I do think that is too young to determine if it's really going to have split wing. Feathers are still growing in, so there will naturally be gaps where they haven't filled in yet. Which is probably why is looking more normal as it grows. :)

Back
Top Bottom