Faverolles Thread

One of my 1.5 week old Faverolles chicks has a problem with one of it's eyelids..none of the other chicks have this.

I am wondering if it is genetic, or possibly an injury - maybe it got pecked by a bigger hen? I remember seeing photos of a big, bulging eye on a chick here recently and I don't think this is the same thing.. how old was that chick when it happened?

After these photos, I tried to gently apply some triple anti-biotic ointment to the eye. When I did that, the upper eyelid smoothed out some, so it is almost like there is too much eyelid and it is folding over. It is not permanently in that pointed, folded shape. The eye can close also.

Is there anything else I can do to help it?
hit.gif

One of my 1.5 week old Faverolles chicks has a problem with one of it's eyelids..none of the other chicks have this. I am wondering if it is genetic, or possibly an injury - maybe it got pecked by a bigger hen? I remember seeing photos of a big, bulging eye on a chick here recently and I don't think this is the same thing.. how old was that chick when it happened? After these photos, I tried to gently apply some triple anti-biotic ointment to the eye. When I did that, the upper eyelid smoothed out some, so it is almost like there is too much eyelid and it is folding over. It is not permanently in that pointed, folded shape. The eye can close also. Is there anything else I can do to help it? :hit
that is weird! It is my fav with the buldging eye. She will be 5 weeks tomorrow. Her eye was an issue since hatch.

One of my 1.5 week old Faverolles chicks has a problem with one of it's eyelids..none of the other chicks have this.

I am wondering if it is genetic, or possibly an injury - maybe it got pecked by a bigger hen? I remember seeing photos of a big, bulging eye on a chick here recently and I don't think this is the same thing.. how old was that chick when it happened?

After these photos, I tried to gently apply some triple anti-biotic ointment to the eye. When I did that, the upper eyelid smoothed out some, so it is almost like there is too much eyelid and it is folding over. It is not permanently in that pointed, folded shape. The eye can close also.

Is there anything else I can do to help it?
hit.gif
This is not the same thing as the bulging eye. I haven't seen this before in a chick. I cannot say whether it is genetic or a result of an injury. The good thing is you say the eye can still close. Did you notice this at hatch?

This is not the same thing as the bulging eye. I haven't seen this before in a chick. I cannot say whether it is genetic or a result of an injury. The good thing is you say the eye can still close. Did you notice this at hatch?

No, I did not notice it before now.. They have been roaming around with the rest of the flock, and I have seen pullets get a few pecks in. The two broody hens who are mothering them defend them from anyone who gets too close, but sometimes the chicks wander and someone gets a nip in. The eyelid stays stuck up a lot of the time, but when I was holding it it did have the eye closed. I put a bit of antibiotic ointment sort of in the eye and under the lid, thinking it would help stay moisturized and hopefully fight any infection (it looks red to me)

Well, I find myself ready to add another breed to our flock. We have our layer flock of buffs, barred rocks, EEs, and Brahmas as well as our birds we show. Showing Seramas is great, but we want to add another breed to show also. Since Faverolles are heritage, dual purpose birds with adorable muffs and beards.... They are the ones we chose :)

We keep our Seramas long enough to select show and breeding stock, and I know most show breeders do the same. However, my DH is battling stage 3 colon cancer and is facing 28 weeks of chemo. That's a LONG time and I'm looking for something to give him a reason to look towards the future. He loves the birds and enjoys hatching. I'm hoping to find someone to sell us some eggs so he can occupy his time and keep him busy selecting birds to show in the spring. The Seramas are done for the season, so there won't be any of those to hatch. If you know anyone who would be willing to sell us some quality eggs, please let us know. Thanks!

Welp. I got a Salmon Fav who was a rooster. Took him back to the breeder to replace him... ended up bringing him right back home, along with his sister (and a few others, shhh, don't tell!).

If I had handed him back to the breeder, he would have been culled immediately. Bringing him home, I figure I can raise him for meat and at least a good bird won't go to waste.

So now I have TWO Favs! The roo is ridiculous (Benny, stop eating your sister! Benny, stop eating your house! Benny, stop... doing... whatever it is you're doing...!), and his sister is the noisiest little bird ever! It sounds like she's constantly announcing her contentment with the world with happy little cheep-cheeps.

I'm excited to join the Faverolle family!

Hello! Is anyone up for helping me sex my 2 week old chicks?

A lot of the chicks are getting salmon in the wings, tipped with black. I see majority females, but honestly I am not sure. I see 2 that have a lot more black, with a small stripe of salmon brown, that I think are male. Hoping to hear what you all think!

here is a photo of all 8 chicks

the one in the middle with its back toward the camera - is that a male? others female?

2nd from the Left has the most salmon colored wings and the only one I would say with certainty is a girl:

do you see any males in this picture?

this one has black stripes on its back, and the most black on the wings. I think it is male?

is this one male?

in this photo left to right, male - female - male?

thank you all for any help learning how to sex baby faverolles chicks!

Last edited:
Well, I find myself ready to add another breed to our flock. We have our layer flock of buffs, barred rocks, EEs, and Brahmas as well as our birds we show. Showing Seramas is great, but we want to add another breed to show also. Since Faverolles are heritage, dual purpose birds with adorable muffs and beards.... They are the ones we chose
smile.png

We keep our Seramas long enough to select show and breeding stock, and I know most show breeders do the same. However, my DH is battling stage 3 colon cancer and is facing 28 weeks of chemo. That's a LONG time and I'm looking for something to give him a reason to look towards the future. He loves the birds and enjoys hatching. I'm hoping to find someone to sell us some eggs so he can occupy his time and keep him busy selecting birds to show in the spring. The Seramas are done for the season, so there won't be any of those to hatch. If you know anyone who would be willing to sell us some quality eggs, please let us know. Thanks!
check with elizmartin I hear a lot about her Faverolles on this thread, being great quality. Good luck I hope you find some, I have 4 young ones and just love their personalities

Okay so I'm in love :). Just discovered the existence of the ermine faverolles. Does anyone here breed or know much about them? Is it also colour sexable as I've not seem a male yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom