Faverolles Thread

I don't know of anyone else with LF blues. I sent my flock of LF blacks (that I got from Dick) to n8ivetxn last fall. Only other person I know of with LF blacks is thechickonthehill. Cloverleaf was working on creating blacks too.

Last edited:
I wanted to just say how great it was to talk to Dick and see so many beautiful Favs in person. Thank you Dick for taking such time and being so ... welcoming.

What a show!

Now for the really bad news. My bf killed my favorite salmon pullet, the "light" one. She was II this close to getting a name.

i have a LF black young roo from thechickenonthehill he has some salmon leakage so i plan on crossing him to blue and black Orps this summer... i know it will take a few generations but i will get there...

i am also thinking of making the same cross with my LF salmon male from the UofA...

was
Why would he do that?

I should have said it was an accident. I was so tired and little upset so I didn't really think that through. He didn't mean to. I only had the trio though and this one was SO sweet, practically a peach gal, not really salmon. She was the friendliest and my son and I just loved her. It was a bit of a blow after seeing the favs at the show and meeting the nice people who keep them. I hope to attempt breeding these two but what a long way to go with just two.
sad.png

Originally Posted by heritagehabitatfarms

University of Arkansas...

R. Keith Bramwell, PhD
Associate Professor
Hatchery/Breeder Management
Department of Poultry Science
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701

has a nice flock of salmons and hatches several thousand chicks a year from his SQ birds (i think like 8 to 10 different breeds) he culls really hard and has improved his birds allot...

i have a LF black young roo from thechickenonthehill he has some salmon leakage so i plan on crossing him to blue and black Orps this summer... i know it will take a few generations but i will get there...

i am also thinking of making the same cross with my LF salmon male from the UofA...

I am deeply offended! No one said anything about contaminating my Orpingtons with Faverolles when I sent those Black/Blue/Splash Orpington chicks home with you! Are you sure your wife will allow you to "borrow" her Orpingtons for a Faverolles project?

Hmmm.... maybe this fall I will try for a BBS and Buff Faverolles project. I have all the ingredients. Or will have if these eggs hatch.

Quote:
The UofA gives away thousands of hatching eggs each year. Priority is 4-H, FFA and Youth. then its a free for all. We have over 100 UofA eggs of various breeds set currently. However, NO shipping. You must pick the eggs up at Fayettville, Arkansas. Some of us get lucky and can meet him in Little Rock when he comes down for meetings etc.

On the UofA Salmon Faverolles, they started with 2 pairs from Patterson, and 100 +/- pullets from Cackle Hatchery and Murray McMurray. They hatched thousands each year in a climate controlled breeding barn. Now about 7 years later theirs are some of the best around. There was a lot of culls, but with students doing research etc they have succeeded in developing a strain of quality Faverolles.

... they started with 2 pairs from Patterson, and 100 +/- pullets from Cackle Hatchery and Murray McMurray. They hatched thousands each year in a climate controlled breeding barn. Now about 7 years later theirs are some of the best around. There was a lot of culls, but with students doing research etc they have succeeded in developing a strain of quality Faverolles.

Wow, but that every chicken breeder could have those resources to breed to their 'hearts desire' : )

Plus the UofA has lots of slave labor ...
hide.gif
..... I mean student labor..... to help care for the flocks.

ETA: The commercial poultry industry gives $$$$$$$$$ grants to their research projects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom