Faverolles Thread

Hello! I'm new to this thread. I have two Salmons the same age (5 or 6 weeks old), and they look so different that I keep thinking one is a boy. One is smaller, looks "thinner" (not as fluffy), and quite a bit darker, although he/she doesn't seem to have nearly as much black as I've seen in some of the posts here. These are hatchery, so I know color tends to be a bit off. The darker one seems to be more reddish/brown than black or salmon. I was just wondering if there is anything, at this age, other than color to help figure out the gender.

I tried to get similar shots of both of them, but they started spazzing out... most of my pictures turned out blurry. (My phone camera isn't very good.) These are the best I have of them. If anyone can tell me the genders, I would really appreciate it. :) Thanks!

Hi Guys!
I need your thoughts on these three SF chicks I got today. I think 2 are pullets, but one has me stumped. They are almost 3 weeks.
Thanks in advance!
Chick # 1 Pullet??

Chick #2 Pullet??

Chick #3 Stumped??

Yes, wait a bit. I've heard of to many people thinking their chicks are cockerels and getting rid of them, even when they are actually hens.

Agreed - wait on #3 until the breast and cape feathers start to come in. When we have ordered from hatcheries, i always ended up surprised by a few really dark pullets that i would have bet my last dollar were boys. Some of the are our best layers, though.

I would wait on all 3 until you get chest feathers. They're almost 3 weeks and still no body feathers?

Back
Top Bottom