Faverolles Thread

IDK how you do it. I think about eating the Favs here and cringe. They are like stuffed animals that lay eggs. The kids just love them and ... I know they are chickens, really I do, but they aren't quite the raptors the rest are. I have to find a butcher here.
Oh believe me, they were quite the raptors! (I had bruises to prove it) That's what got them put in the freezer! - I just got tired of the unexpected attacks when I turn my back, goofy birds...

The 3 boys I have now are doing well.... I think they'll be ok. It seems like they usually lose there minds at about 1 yr of age. If they make it past that point, I feel sure they're good to go!

I found a couple of retired sisters-in-law that opened their own processing place. They dressed it up really cute, takes the edge off of knowing what's about to happen in the back, plus, they said if I was interested, they would be happy to show me how to do it myself - one day I'll put on my big girl panties and do it!

WOW!!!
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
i cant wait until i have a whole flock like that...
A pic of my black pullet.

Another pic of my blue cockerel

Ash, there are all-male comfrey hybrids that are only spread by intentional root cuttings - the self-seeding variety, in my experience, is only invasive of left to go without being harvested frequently. We used to use it for fodder for our goats in the NW, and despite having the "invasive" variety, the goats and chickens kept it well in check.
I didn't research this but the ability to keep it in check here seems plausible. I happen to love the plant. Borage is another one I really need to get here. So pretty and yummy flowers. Not for chickens. For me :)
WOW!!!
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
i cant wait until i have a whole flock like that...

Totally agree. They are what I love about Ams but with foot feathering and meat on their bones :) No blue eggs though.

Ash, there are all-male comfrey hybrids that are only spread by intentional root cuttings - the self-seeding variety, in my experience, is only invasive of left to go without being harvested frequently. We used to use it for fodder for our goats in the NW, and despite having the "invasive" variety, the goats and chickens kept it well in check.
I grew up with it and my mother added it into the juice she made for us before it had all the cancer controversy. I have a patch that i have been trying to get rid of for along time and it just keeps spreading since the roots are long and all it takes is a tiny piece to bring it on. Let us know how it is in a few years.....:)

Anyone interested in taking on a LF buff project? My friends landlord has decided she had to get rid of a coop. She is only on the second generation out from the original cross of a 1/2 LF buff Orp/ 1/2 bantam buff Fav cock over LF salmon hens, so the project has a long way to go. There are adults, juveniles, and chicks. There are enough birds for more than one person to get some. I don't know if she'll ship, but it's a possibility. They have to be gone before the end of the month.

Anyone interested in taking on a LF buff project? My friends landlord has decided she had to get rid of a coop. She is only on the second generation out from the original cross of a 1/2 LF buff Orp/ 1/2 bantam buff Fav cock over LF salmon hens, so the project has a long way to go. There are adults, juveniles, and chicks. There are enough birds for more than one person to get some. I don't know if she'll ship, but it's a possibility. They have to be gone before the end of the month.
Are these AyeUpChucks? I just got some of her eggs to play with, her birds are stunning.

Back
Top Bottom