Faverolles Thread

Fancy Favie - you agree the ones that look like this are boys...? Thought I'd grab your opinion if you're still on!

Hi everyone! Haven't posted here in a long while but I'm looking for opinions on the sex of these chicks. My broody hatched 7 faverolles a little over 3 weeks ago. I have 3 that are black chested boys. One pale salmon girl. And three that look like this...

side (one on right)
(I know the ones on the left are boys.)
they have salmon coming in at the back of their necks but the chests are white and grey mixed in. In the side view pic it looks like black but it's actually sooty grey and white, whereas the known boys are black. Feathered in fast, not slow like the boys so I had hoped they're girls so I didn't end up with 1 girl & 6 boys. Thoughts?

Quote: I agree - that hen would be part of a cockerel line, meaning that you use birds like her to breed cockerels that have that nice rich color. For example, I have a cock that would breed nice pullets (if I could get the girls to lay in this heat!) because he has too much white in his beard, and his mahogany color could be darker. So, I would choose some lighter girls to breed to him to produce nice creamy females. I don't know that you can successfully "balance out" the colors by breeding light to dark, not with Favs, anyway.

Fancy Favie - you agree the ones that look like this are boys...? Thought I'd grab your opinion if you're still on!
I see your in Michigan I have pullets the same age if your wanting to add a few to your flock I would suggest trade for the cockerals but I have quite a few lil boys the same age that will be sold in a pair or a trio

I agree - that hen would be part of a cockerel line, meaning that you use birds like her to breed cockerels that have that nice rich color. For example, I have a cock that would breed nice pullets (if I could get the girls to lay in this heat!) because he has too much white in his beard, and his mahogany color could be darker. So, I would choose some lighter girls to breed to him to produce nice creamy females. I don't know that you can successfully "balance out" the colors by breeding light to dark, not with Favs, anyway.
Most of my boys run on the lighter side but do have some youngsters coming up that are really dark I am anxious to see them as adults in the meantime my pens are majority for the lighter pullets and will hope this lil boy I have will be my next years lil Stud muffin LOL

That's what I was thinking of doing. Hopefully I can find homes for some too, but they'll definately be kept around at least through the summer. I'll post some pics later when it's time to decide. I will want one for breeding...but he'll only have one SF girlfriend. haha.

I may need to keep a light and a dark then. Uh oh. Definitely will need more girl eggs next time. I was lucky then Fancy - I got three of your light boys and three of your dark boys :) I'm looking on the bright side, lol. Still amazed with the 100% hatch rate - very robust babies!

Back
Top Bottom