Faverolles Thread

I have several young Salmon Faverolles cockerels available that are abut 4 weeks old right now. I will be traveling through Portland on my way to Seattle next month and can bring them along. Please PM me if you are interested in any of these young fellows.

Does anyone have photos of their favs chests from the front?

I'm concerned about mine looking sort of skinny from the front. They got lice and got underweight before I'd realised. Lice are gone and they seem to be eating fine but they just sort of look skinny at the front down near their legs. But maybe that's just how they look?

Ill try to get some front on photos to show what I mean but in the meantime just wondered if anyone had some front ons handy to share?

Does anyone have photos of their favs chests from the front?

I'm concerned about mine looking sort of skinny from the front. They got lice and got underweight before I'd realised. Lice are gone and they seem to be eating fine but they just sort of look skinny at the front down near their legs. But maybe that's just how they look?

Ill try to get some front on photos to show what I mean but in the meantime just wondered if anyone had some front ons handy to share?
How old are your Faverolles? pullets or cockerals? So I can get a pic of the age of mine so you can compare....

They are about 7 months now and just about ready to lay as the faces are reddening up and the combs seem to be starting to grow.

They look like they should be very solid looking down on the breastbone area between the legs by the shape of them but they seem to go in there instead and almost have a concave look either side of it instead with a row of feathers in the middle adding to the look.

Not sure if this helps - this was mine at six months just about when she started laying as well. We lost her to a raccoon a couple weeks later. Not a great photo of her but I don't have many front shots.

I agree - that hen would be part of a cockerel line, meaning that you use birds like her to breed cockerels that have that nice rich color. For example, I have a cock that would breed nice pullets (if I could get the girls to lay in this heat!) because he has too much white in his beard, and his mahogany color could be darker. So, I would choose some lighter girls to breed to him to produce nice creamy females. I don't know that you can successfully "balance out" the colors by breeding light to dark, not with Favs, anyway.

I conversed briefly with Peter Merlin and Dick Boulanger back in 2010, I think, when I first got Faverolles. My recollection is that one way of breeding these birds is to select females and males to compensate in some way for the fault of the other, to produce a male or female bird with desired characteristics. But the real trick is to establish a flock in which the same pairing produces outstanding males and females, and does so consistently across the flock and across the generations. Is anyone working toward this kind of goal with their flock?

Not sure if this helps - this was mine at six months just about when she started laying as well. We lost her to a raccoon a couple weeks later. Not a great photo of her but I don't have many front shots.

Nope yours doesn't seem to have it.

They won't pose for me but hopefully you can see what I mean

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom