Faverolles Thread

Those of you who raise LF Faverolles, I'm wondering how old they are when they're finally full-grown. I just got two hens today from Ron Patterson, and they are huge! I thought my pullet from a member on here was big, but she's not as big as these hens. She's eight months old, so now I'm wondering if she'll get as big as the new ones, or if she'll always be a little smaller than they are. I don't care that she's smaller, I'm just curious how old they usually are before they're fully grown.

They can grow well into their second year. Old time breeders believed it best to ONLY use truely mature hens as then their true genetics could be judged for the breeding pen

Wow, she definitely could get as big as the new hens, then! If my cockerel grows until he's 2, he's going to be enormous!!

Those of you who raise LF Faverolles, I'm wondering how old they are when they're finally full-grown. I just got two hens today from Ron Patterson, and they are huge! I thought my pullet from a member on here was big, but she's not as big as these hens. She's eight months old, so now I'm wondering if she'll get as big as the new ones, or if she'll always be a little smaller than they are. I don't care that she's smaller, I'm just curious how old they usually are before they're fully grown.
Hey I know Ron. Congrats on your new chickens, is that one of the hens in your avatar?

Wow, she definitely could get as big as the new hens, then! If my cockerel grows until he's 2, he's going to be enormous!!

Ron's got some beautiful big birds - you've got some great lines there! I'd love to have a couple of Ron's big roosters! They are truly breathtaking!

But, size is all related to the genetics. You could have two birds of exactly the same age, from two different lines, that will be two very different sizes. I don't consider my LF hens to be finished until they're about 16-18 months. They grow in size fairly quickly, within about 9 months in my experience, then spend the rest of the time filling out. But, it's worth the wait!

I don't know a lot about faverolles because I show silkies and I've never really shown anything else but I bought this pair and was wondering what you all thought of them? I showed them at a show a couple weeks ago and the pullet got BB and the cockerel got RB but they were the only bantam Faverolles in the junior show and when I asked the judge about them he said he didn't know much about the breed. I'm not sure how old they are but they're still pretty young.

They look pretty nice - who did you buy them from?

I had the same problem getting information from the judges when I first started, but luckily more people have them now, so the judges see them more often. You should come to some of the shows where a few of us gather, so you can compare your birds to others. There will be a group of us at the APA National in January in Massachusetts. Woot!

Can you get a picture of their toes? and, get one of the female looking down at her back from above.

I've been looking around this site and ran into several pics of newly hatched chicks that were bug eyed Faverolles. At least two folks responded in threads who had this with non-Faverolles, so apparently it's not just a Faverolles thing, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes this?

Quote:
I was at that show too and remember walking by them. Jim Adkins was probably the judge. If she is not laying she probably isn't 6 months old yet. That is when mine start laying. Who did you purchase them from?

Last edited:
Quote:
I was at that show too and remember walking by them. Jim Adkins was probably the judge. If she is not laying she probably isn't 6 months old yet. That is when mine start laying. Who did you purchase them from?
I bought them at the lucasville ohio show. I don't know the name of the guy that I got them from. I will take the pictures when I get home. I'm taking them to the ohio nationals this weekend. That sounds great maybe I'll be able to go to that show. Thanks!

Hey I know Ron. Congrats on your new chickens, is that one of the hens in your avatar?

Thanks! No, that's my pullet from Fancy Favie. She's a nice bird, too, just not as big and filled out as the new hens yet.

Ron's got some beautiful big birds - you've got some great lines there! I'd love to have a couple of Ron's big roosters! They are truly breathtaking!

But, size is all related to the genetics. You could have two birds of exactly the same age, from two different lines, that will be two very different sizes. I don't consider my LF hens to be finished until they're about 16-18 months. They grow in size fairly quickly, within about 9 months in my experience, then spend the rest of the time filling out. But, it's worth the wait!

Yes, these hens are just gorgeous. I'm really excited about them. I'd love to get a rooster from Ron eventually, too, but I think I'm going to have to wait a while or my husband might kick me out!
tongue.png

One of the new hens actually laid me an egg yesterday afternoon/evening! I guess she didn't find the trip too stressful!

Yes, I expect my pullet to fill out a lot more yet. I'm also interested to see what's going to happen with her color. She is much darker than the new birds, almost a mahogany, maybe. It will be fun to see how much her color changes, if any, after her first molt.

I've been looking around this site and ran into several pics of newly hatched chicks that were bug eyed Faverolles. At least two folks responded in threads who had this with non-Faverolles, so apparently it's not just a Faverolles thing, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes this?
I had this problem with a fav. Its glaucoma but it can be caused my avian viral meningitis. The virus is passed from hen (who usually shows no signs) to the chick through the egg. Once the chick gets over the virus, the glaucoma will remain but it usually just clouds over and becomes non-functional while the bird lives on to be just fine. I am lead to understand that the virus does not become latent, so its okay to use the bird as a breeder, but my vet recommended that I not buy eggs from that person again.

Back
Top Bottom