Faverolles Thread

I am quite perplexed by everyone/everywhere saying that Faverolles are so docile because mine (at least the bloodline of them I have/had right now) do not seem to be overly docile and when I had my Faverolles hen she remained the top dog over my Ameraucana. Could this trait be somewhat dependent upon their bloodlines? I know that the stock I have right now were a cross between hatchery stock and a line from a local breeder.

Don't know really. I hatched mine from Sandiclaws flocks and when I open the run door, they don't attempt to get out ... they come up to me to be petted like dogs. Even the rooster. I absolutely love them and do not have any other chickens that are as friendly and actually like to be touched.

Supposed to be female...no?
2 weeks old

From where?

I'd say male but some hatcheries have some atrocious colored females.

A couple of examples I found in Breed or Gender

LL

LL
How can you tell males from females at that age? From the feathers? Is there any method that works for sure? I'm interested in knowing. As the chicks grow, to me it seems the males are a little longer legged than the females ... but it's my guess ....

Here's a "Nature vs. Nurture" with my Fav's. I had a Fav hatch a dozen eggs and I had an Australorp who was on day 6 of being broody. I didn't want/need any additional chicks at that point so that night I swiped 2 Fav chicks and put under the Australorp. The Australorp was my top hen and the Fav was at the bottom of the pecking order. Since they both had babies they became "friends" to defend each others chicks. The 2 raised by the Australorp ended up close to the top of the order and the chicks raised by the Fav were closer to the bottom once they were grown.

I love my Fav's quirkiness and wish they were more available in my area.

How can you tell males from females at that age? From the feathers? Is there any method that works for sure? I'm interested in knowing. As the chicks grow, to me it seems the males are a little longer legged than the females ... but it's my guess ....
You can tell from feather color because they are Salmon Faverolles. Doesn't work with other breeds.

Hatchery birds are often tougher then birds bred to the SOP as they often have other modern breeds in their ancestry they shouldn't to increase egg production. This is also why the hens are nearly always too dark.
In general some breeds are more forward, I think it also is affected by how they are raised, plenty of room and food without crowding.. Half of my LF flock is evenly dark with the others more creamier….I think what may have been mean't is overly dark and off color, often color in the breast and beards. similar to the pictures posted. My first Hatchery were true to color….every once in awhile when i see them in the farm store i will pick up a few and last few years have had off colors….

Back
Top Bottom