Faverolles Thread

I have a question for the faverolles breeders. I have always thought that having five toes was the breed standard, but as I have read more I have seen there is more to it.
Is the fifth toe supposed to point vertically?..

I have a question for the faverolles breeders. I have always thought that having five toes was the breed standard, but as I have read more I have seen there is more to it.
Is the fifth toe supposed to point vertically?..
Hi, am not an expert but the right foot of Your boy in Your Avatar has nicely placed toes….Way back somewhere in this thread there are many examples of good feet. Nice toe spread with the 4th & 5th toes in the back with one angling vertical, not horizontal. They are usually joined at the base but sometimes You see one as a spur on the other which is not right.

Skin color is typically white/pink but i am seeing more yellow tones lately...

I hatched a small batch of LF SF's from a very reputable breeder with great stock. One of the chicks is yellow, 5 toes, feathered legs as usual. Everything about the bird says SF to me except the two black dots on his forehead and the four chipmunk stripes down his back???????

He was the last chick to hatch. In fact he was a full 36 hours behind the the first chick. His egg was about 8 days old when it was set due to a really lengthy shipping time. The stripes are downy, not hard feathered like and older chick would be. I have never seen this and was wondering if the Roos can be born with black already present on the back? I know there are other fav colors, would any of them pop out like this? Sometimes breeders send surprise extras and sometimes honest mistakes just happen and an egg gets mixed in. (I've done that myself.).

If it is not a faverolles, what are some options for yellow, feather legged, five toed chipmunks? I have not been able to reach the breeder since the hatch but do trust me when I say this is a stand up breeder.

Thanks Eliz! If you have anything you might want to contribute to the next newsletter, we would love to have it
yippiechickie.gif
ThankYOU Too….Would love if others on this thread had colored and/or colored projects to share. It helps to know who else is out there…….also Blue Salmon……Melissa and I have them but know there has to be others out there……Where are the Buffs……….Of course there is the *how does one colorize the Faverolles without taking away historical characteristics that make them special in the meat, eggs, attitude etc…...

Am not able to attend the big show back east but if there are ways that we can help sponsor/donate or joint sponsor gifts especially to Youth and / or 4-H…. it would be helpful to know where to find that information for this celebration year. Liesha???? Are there Youth Faverolles educational posters awards????

For those newer folks, the newsletter is from Faverolles Fanciers Of America, check it out……….Very reasonable to join if You would like to participate.

Am curious, do You have to be a facebooker to check out the Faverolle facebook page??? if not how does one find it??? there are some facebook pages that you don't have to be…..

I hatched a small batch of LF SF's from a very reputable breeder with great stock. One of the chicks is yellow, 5 toes, feathered legs as usual. Everything about the bird says SF to me except the two black dots on his forehead and the four chipmunk stripes down his back???????

He was the last chick to hatch. In fact he was a full 36 hours behind the the first chick. His egg was about 8 days old when it was set due to a really lengthy shipping time. The stripes are downy, not hard feathered like and older chick would be. I have never seen this and was wondering if the Roos can be born with black already present on the back? I know there are other fav colors, would any of them pop out like this? Sometimes breeders send surprise extras and sometimes honest mistakes just happen and an egg gets mixed in. (I've done that myself.).

If it is not a faverolles, what are some options for yellow, feather legged, five toed chipmunks? I have not been able to reach the breeder since the hatch but do trust me when I say this is a stand up breeder.

Thats how one of mine hatched out yesterday. He had stripes feathered legs and four toes and im wondering if its a throwback gene so to speak. Heres a pic of mine

Hi, am not an expert but the right foot of Your boy in Your Avatar has nicely placed toes….Way back somewhere in this thread there are many examples of good feet. Nice toe spread with the 4th & 5th toes in the back with one angling vertical, not horizontal. They are usually joined at the base but sometimes You see one as a spur on the other which is not right. 

Skin color is typically white/pink but i am seeing more yellow tones lately...

Thank you for the reply. I have about thirty chicks that I am going to need to start really assessing so I can see who I want to keep and who I can let go. They all look roughly the same, all have beards and five toes and feathered legs thank goodness. I know I will place more emphasis on coloring than if my fifth toe is upright but I am thinking that may be a good place to being the culling decisions.

ThankYOU Too….Would love if others on this thread had colored and/or colored projects to share. It helps to know who else is out there…….also Blue Salmon……Melissa and I have them but know there has to be others out there……Where are the Buffs……….Of course there is the *how does one colorize the Faverolles without taking away historical characteristics that make them special in the meat, eggs, attitude etc…...

Am not able to attend the big show back east but if there are ways that we can help sponsor/donate or joint sponsor gifts especially to Youth and / or 4-H…. it would be helpful to know where to find that information for this celebration year. Liesha???? Are there Youth Faverolles educational posters awards????

For those newer folks, the newsletter is from Faverolles Fanciers Of America, check it out……….Very reasonable to join if You would like to participate.

Am curious, do You have to be a facebooker to check out the Faverolle facebook page??? if not how does one find it??? there are some facebook pages that you don't have to be…..
The LF Buffs went to the wayside years ago, is what I've heard. Leisha would definitely be the one to contact about anything show related or meet related. She is on here under Comers Poultry, on the Facebook page and on the website, making her quite easy to find. There is no Youth Faverolles education posters award.????
Members of the FFOA recieve a breeders list and members list, as well as information on our website about, varieties, shows and meets. The website if for members only now. The Facebook page is public.
I really don't know if you can view the FFOA Facebook page without being on Facebook. Leisha might know, as she moderates that.

This is my salmon faverolles chick with black stripes on the back and head! she also got black wingtips first. but turned into a female :)

the black striped chick is the pullet

the yellow chick is the cockerel

they are 12 weeks old now:

she kept the black tips in her wings, and tail feathers

I think he is handsome too, but not sure what qualities to look for in the SF SOP..

This is my salmon faverolles chick with black stripes on the back and head! she also got black wingtips first. but turned into a female :) the black striped chick is the pullet the yellow chick is the cockerel they are 12 weeks old now: she kept the black tips in her wings, and tail feathers I think he is handsome too, but not sure what qualities to look for in the SF SOP..
how many toes did it have?

I have never seen, chimpmonk markings, dark spots or yellow legs on Faverolles chicks from my Salmon Faverolles. I have however seen these strange markings on the chicks I have hatched from Jeanine's line that I picked up last year. Personally, I culled those chicks and will wait and see what this years hatch produces next Spring. I do know that several people have seen this and choose to keep them and breed them. Just not something I want to reproduce here.

*how does one colorize the Faverolles without taking away historical characteristics that make them special in the meat, eggs, attitude etc…..
Eliz, it takes lots of culling and lots of time to produce a new variety. Color, type, comb, beard, feathering, toes.....
wee.gif
For me, with my blues and blacks, I have also considered size (dual purpose) and my females are 8 1/2 to 9 pounds and the males between 10 -12 pounds. Personality is paramount for me as well. If I have a Faverolles that is aggressive, it goes away and I will not breed it. That sweet, let me be with you, attitude is what I love about this breed. So personality is a trait I breed for here.

It would be great to hear from others on this.....

Back
Top Bottom