Faverolles Thread

Perhaps Cackle has improved their flock since the video was taken. I went out to photograph my girls this evening and their color doesn't seem nearly as dark as the hens in the video. A few of mine have a lot of black in their beards while a few have little to no black in their beards.

I have a Coastline Poultry cockerel that I am going to put over them as an experiment this spring. I am hoping that he will be able to improve them, if even a bit.
faverolles are hard to breed, they require double mating. With your hens, you should use a pale/light cockerel. and try to use hens with the least amount of beard ticking because it's super hard to remove from the breeding line. the combs should be small in the hen.

I saw your favs at the smithfield show. and yes they were medium sized. if they are not 1 year old they are still growing. mine are from piperomar and they are bigger. they need a lot of protein i fed them flock raiser for most of their life
I feed mine 22% gamebird crumbles from chicks through old age.

I saw your favs at the smithfield show. and yes they were medium sized. if they are not 1 year old they are still growing. mine are from piperomar and they are bigger. they need a lot of protein i fed them flock raiser for most of their life
Oh, I wish we could have met. They are less than one year, I hatched them in July- so that gives me hope. Did you see the pair that Carl Brantley had at the Winston Salem show? That's the pair that I'm getting for Christmas/birthday, but I have to wait until he comes back from Canada in January.

I have been absolutely lusting after those white std leghorns that (and I completely forget his name now) have been in champion row at the past couple of shows I've been to.

Last edited:
I've been feeding Flock Raiser for a couple of years, but I've been investigating the new Feather Fixer from Nutrena.

I used Flock Raiser for several years with good results. Now I feed Blue Seal gamebird. They do well on it, and it is $3 less per bag than the Purina. I did use one bag of Feather Fixer when I wasn't able to get to NH for the usual feed, unfortunately not long enough to know if it is any good.

faverolles are hard to breed, they require double mating. With your hens, you should use a pale/light cockerel. and try to use hens with the least amount of beard ticking because it's super hard to remove from the breeding line. the combs should be small in the hen.

Yes, that is what I have read. I would like to focus on a hen line. Would the rooster in the picture below be considered light colored? If not, could you show me an example of one? He was considerably lighter than his siblings so I decided to keep him for breeding. He seems to throw a smaller comb on the hens as well.
Good to know about the black in the beards. I have a few very nice pullets that I hatched from Coastline Poultry eggs that I can replace the worst hatchery birds with.

Another question, are there any distinguishing characteristics between a blue salmon and salmon hen? I have a couple that might be blue salmon.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I have read. I would like to focus on a hen line. Would the rooster in the picture below be considered light colored? If not, could you show me an example of one? He was considerably lighter than his siblings so I decided to keep him for breeding. He seems to throw a smaller comb on the hens as well. Good to know about the black in the beards. I have a few very nice pullets that I hatched from Coastline Poultry eggs that I can replace the worst hatchery birds with. Another question, are there any distinguishing characteristics between a blue salmon and salmon hen? I have a couple that might be blue salmon.
The subject of double mating Faverolles is a controversial one. Some believe it is necessary, others do not. If you have the room to experiment, then go ahead. Personally I prefer not to do so. But to your questions. Your male is light. I do not see mahogany. Telling blue salmon females from salmon is difficult. You can try to distinguish the blue tint in the wing and tail tips on the blue salmons from the dark grey of the salmons, but it can be tough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom