Faverolles Thread

I thought you always had tons of rain.
smile.png
VBG…….
lol.png

Seriously though, it has been record wet, so much that walking in my front pasture is like walking on a wet sponge.

btw, had an bald eagle over for lunch again yesterday…..i don't let my birds out too often but we finally had some dry(er) weather so thought it would be good for them to get into the grass…..one wasn't so lucky…..was grateful that it wasn't one of the Favs….eagles close up are magnificent just the same.

We will be up to our eyeballs in mud when all this stuff melts. I am surprised I have seen next to no raptors. I don't know if they moved further south to find better hunting grounds and to get away from the deep snow pack, or if there is something else going on. I have only seen one Cooper's hawk and it only took one shot at the birds at the feeder. The deer are chest deep in snow. A couple of wild rabbits have tunneled trough to the deck to eat bird seed of all things. I'm hoping the owls find those buggers.

Eagles are a common sight here in ME when the lake isn't frozen. We have a dead pine along the lake edge where they like to perch. Have had them in MA too though less frequently.

The days are getting noticeably longer and this morning I heard 3 male Cardinals singing their spring song. Time to peruse the seed catalogs.

I think the deer will need tunnels soon, never mind the rabbits. 90"+ of snow in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Here in Oregon we have been having wet weather and part of the chicken yard is really soggy. They've turned the area closest to the coop into a mud pit, but the further away areas still have grass. Ready for some sunshine!

I'm looking for some advice on my Salmon Faverolles. I have 1 hen from a failed hatch, she's different genetics than my other 6 Favs so I'm not yet sure if I am going to include her in breeding.

She is 1 year and a few months old (on the right):

The pullet on the left is of the same genetics as my 5 males and I had planned to line breed her to one of her brothers. But her beard has little black specs in it that she doesn't seem to be growing out of. These are my only 2 females

The hen on the right is just muddy, her beard is white. I notice that her wing feathers are somewhat loose. Looking for other critiques on her, reasons to/not to breed her.

Here is a group shot of the 5 males. 5 of 6 chicks hatched turned out to be boys! just my luck!

they are almost 5 months old. I am going to legband them soon so I can start telling them apart.

I am hoping for advice about breeding either female, both females, or none. I realize they both might have issues, so I am thinking about including them both in the breeding pen and trying to hatch as many chicks as I can to cull down for next year. Unless their faults are really that bad.

I plan to keep 2 of these males, 1 as a backup, but not sure yet on which ones. I have noticed one has a bit of a squirrel tail and one has a wider open tail feathers, while the others are a little bit pinched in the tail. Past that their body shape seems good to me, but I am new to breeding Favs. Thanks in advance!

Here in Oregon we have been having wet weather and part of the chicken yard is really soggy. They've turned the area closest to the coop into a mud pit, but the further away areas still have grass. Ready for some sunshine! I'm looking for some advice on my Salmon Faverolles. I have 1 hen from a failed hatch, she's different genetics than my other 6 Favs so I'm not yet sure if I am going to include her in breeding. She is 1 year and a few months old (on the right): The pullet on the left is of the same genetics as my 5 males and I had planned to line breed her to one of her brothers. But her beard has little black specs in it that she doesn't seem to be growing out of. These are my only 2 females The hen on the right is just muddy, her beard is white. I notice that her wing feathers are somewhat loose. Looking for other critiques on her, reasons to/not to breed her. Here is a group shot of the 5 males. 5 of 6 chicks hatched turned out to be boys! just my luck! they are almost 5 months old. I am going to legband them soon so I can start telling them apart. I am hoping for advice about breeding either female, both females, or none. I realize they both might have issues, so I am thinking about including them both in the breeding pen and trying to hatch as many chicks as I can to cull down for next year. Unless their faults are really that bad. I plan to keep 2 of these males, 1 as a backup, but not sure yet on which ones. I have noticed one has a bit of a squirrel tail and one has a wider open tail feathers, while the others are a little bit pinched in the tail. Past that their body shape seems good to me, but I am new to breeding Favs. Thanks in advance!
I'm not an expert, but the cock closest to the front and the one 2nd most to the right look like my favorites so far from what I see of them. Of course avoid squirrel tail, couldn't see which one has it. They will change some as they mature, but banding now is a good idea if you want to pick some early contenders. If it was me I'd keep both of those hens, cull for body type and color next year like you said. Good luck!

Here in Oregon we have been having wet weather and part of the chicken yard is really soggy. They've turned the area closest to the coop into a mud pit, but the further away areas still have grass. Ready for some sunshine!

I'm looking for some advice on my Salmon Faverolles. I have 1 hen from a failed hatch, she's different genetics than my other 6 Favs so I'm not yet sure if I am going to include her in breeding.

She is 1 year and a few months old (on the right):

The pullet on the left is of the same genetics as my 5 males and I had planned to line breed her to one of her brothers. But her beard has little black specs in it that she doesn't seem to be growing out of. These are my only 2 females

The hen on the right is just muddy, her beard is white. I notice that her wing feathers are somewhat loose. Looking for other critiques on her, reasons to/not to breed her.

Here is a group shot of the 5 males. 5 of 6 chicks hatched turned out to be boys! just my luck!

they are almost 5 months old. I am going to legband them soon so I can start telling them apart.

I am hoping for advice about breeding either female, both females, or none. I realize they both might have issues, so I am thinking about including them both in the breeding pen and trying to hatch as many chicks as I can to cull down for next year. Unless their faults are really that bad.

I plan to keep 2 of these males, 1 as a backup, but not sure yet on which ones. I have noticed one has a bit of a squirrel tail and one has a wider open tail feathers, while the others are a little bit pinched in the tail. Past that their body shape seems good to me, but I am new to breeding Favs. Thanks in advance!

With both the females and the males, type is most important - inverted trapezoid shape to the body, five distinct toes, white legs, five points to the comb, wide chest and back.

Is there any way to get more females? Right now, I would only choose the female on the left, and then only to produce dark-colored males, because of the black in her beard, and her overall darker color. The standard calls for a creamy white color. I would certainly NOT breed her to her brother, unless there was no other choice. Inbreeding is not recommended, although it does happen. There are Salmon breeders out in Oregon and Washington, so you can find more. The female on the right might have split wing, and is not good type. I wouldn't use her.

With the males, choose the ones with the darker beards and breasts. The ones with white will only get whiter, although, if you can get more females with good color, the lighter males will produce good females. Also, avoid the ones with a ton of points in their comb - the standard calls for five. Most males it is hard to judge until they are at least a year, as their color changes so much.

Faverolles are generally produced in separate pullet and cockerel lines, with the lighter birds for the females and the darker for the males.

Who are they from?

With both the females and the males, type is most important - inverted trapezoid shape to the body, five distinct toes, white legs, five points to the comb, wide chest and back.

Is there any way to get more females? Right now, I would only choose the female on the left, and then only to produce dark-colored males, because of the black in her beard, and her overall darker color. The standard calls for a creamy white color. I would certainly NOT breed her to her brother, unless there was no other choice. Inbreeding is not recommended, although it does happen. There are Salmon breeders out in Oregon and Washington, so you can find more. The female on the right might have split wing, and is not good type. I wouldn't use her.

With the males, choose the ones with the darker beards and breasts. The ones with white will only get whiter, although, if you can get more females with good color, the lighter males will produce good females. Also, avoid the ones with a ton of points in their comb - the standard calls for five. Most males it is hard to judge until they are at least a year, as their color changes so much.

Faverolles are generally produced in separate pullet and cockerel lines, with the lighter birds for the females and the darker for the males.

Who are they from?
I agree. Is there any way to get some additional females? The unrelated hen definitely has loose wings, if not split wing. I also avoid sibling matings of at all possible.

The cockerel pictured on the table with them has a pinched tail so I wouldn't use him. If you can get individual pictures of the males maybe we can help you select which ones to keep. It can be difficult to decide which problems you can live with, and which ones need to go. I held over 14 cockerels last year and sent 13 of those to the freezer last month. Hopefully the one I kept will be worth it. If I can ever start hatching this season.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but the cock closest to the front and the one 2nd most to the right look like my favorites so far from what I see of them. Of course avoid squirrel tail, couldn't see which one has it.
They will change some as they mature, but banding now is a good idea if you want to pick some early contenders.
If it was me I'd keep both of those hens, cull for body type and color next year like you said. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your input! The cock closest to the front is actually my favorite too. I can only tell him apart because he has a crease on his left eye from an injury when he was a chick.

Who are they from?
Well not to tell my whole life story, but right now we're expecting our first baby in Spring and I'm trying to cut back on my breeding projects. On the chopping block are either my Salmon Faverolles or Mottled Javas. My other project is blue laced red Wyandottes. Most of what I know is about BLRW. I have a copy of the SOP book that I reference but I am definitely still learning what to look for in the Favs.

The 5 males and the darker colored pullet are from Piperomar. I hatched the split-wing female from Sahwithchicks about 1.5 years ago, there was also a male from that batch that I culled because he was unusually aggressive. Prior to that I also had another shipped batch of eggs that didn't hatch (one did, but I culled the chick for foot problems). Overall I feel like I have been trying to get Salmon Favs started for about 2 years and keep having really bad luck. They are one of my favorite breed personality and looks wise. I don't plan to show the birds, I'm just a hobbyist but I also want to do it right.

I know about pullet and cockerel lines, but I didn't realize that was standard in Favs. I would honestly like a pullet line more than a cockerel line, which it sounds like I have :)

What I know from BLRW is to breed for type first, which often means disregarding color at first.

I also have learned to practice line breeding, or inbreeding as you say. Why is that not acceptable for Faverolles? Is it because you are producing a pullet and a cockerel line? From what I know line breeding is the best way to get certain traits locked in and then you breed back to one of the parents for a generation or so before using one of the offspring to replace the (grand)parent.

I really appreciate your thoughts and critiques of my birds, thank you!

I agree. Is there any way to get some additional females? The unrelated hen definitely has loose wings, if not split wing. I also avoid sibling matings of at all possible.

The cockerel pictured on the table with them has a pinched tail so I wouldn't use him. If you can get individual pictures of the males maybe we can help you select which ones to keep. It can be difficult to decide which problems you can live with, and which ones need to go. I held over 14 cockerels last year and sent 13 of those to the freezer last month. Hopefully the one I kept will be worth it. If I can ever start hatching this season.
I would love to get more, but I'm not sure where to look now. I guess Piperomar's are a male line mostly. Cloverleaf farms was the other Fav breeder I had my eye on but she had to get rid of all her birds :( Shipped eggs have just been so frustrating with low hatch rates that I want to buy from someone locally (Oregon).
It is frustrating that after so many failed attempts I still don't have good genes to breed with and so I am considering not breeding Favs at all.

I am interested why Faverolles are not line bred as I have learned with my other breeds.

It sounds like the unrelated hen shouldn't be considered at all, so she'll stay in the egglaying flock.

Almost all the cockerels have tails that look like that.. There is one that is wider in the tail, he's the one who had an injured eyelid when he was a chick and it's stayed that way. He can close his eyes but it looks weird. He's easy to pick out of the crowd at least. They are still in the skitish phase, they keep their distance from me, but I'll try to get them banded and get better photos of them sometime soon.

My choice now boils down to eliminating the Favs or the Javas... I enjoy the Favs a LOT more, but I think my Javas have less faults overall.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your input! The cock closest to the front is actually my favorite too. I can only tell him apart because he has a crease on his left eye from an injury when he was a chick.

Well not to tell my whole life story, but right now we're expecting our first baby in Spring and I'm trying to cut back on my breeding projects. On the chopping block are either my Salmon Faverolles or Mottled Javas. My other project is blue laced red Wyandottes. Most of what I know is about BLRW. I have a copy of the SOP book that I reference but I am definitely still learning what to look for in the Favs.

The 5 males and the darker colored pullet are from Piperomar. I hatched the split-wing female from Sahwithchicks about 1.5 years ago, there was also a male from that batch that I culled because he was unusually aggressive. Prior to that I also had another shipped batch of eggs that didn't hatch (one did, but I culled the chick for foot problems). Overall I feel like I have been trying to get Salmon Favs started for about 2 years and keep having really bad luck. They are one of my favorite breed personality and looks wise. I don't plan to show the birds, I'm just a hobbyist but I also want to do it right.

I know about pullet and cockerel lines, but I didn't realize that was standard in Favs. I would honestly like a pullet line more than a cockerel line, which it sounds like I have :)

What I know from BLRW is to breed for type first, which often means disregarding color at first.

I also have learned to practice line breeding, or inbreeding as you say. Why is that not acceptable for Faverolles? Is it because you are producing a pullet and a cockerel line? From what I know line breeding is the best way to get certain traits locked in and then you breed back to one of the parents for a generation or so before using one of the offspring to replace the (grand)parent.

I really appreciate your thoughts and critiques of my birds, thank you!

I would love to get more, but I'm not sure where to look now. I guess Piperomar's are a male line mostly. Cloverleaf farms was the other Fav breeder I had my eye on but she had to get rid of all her birds :( Shipped eggs have just been so frustrating with low hatch rates that I want to buy from someone locally (Oregon).
It is frustrating that after so many failed attempts I still don't have good genes to breed with and so I am considering not breeding Favs at all.

I am interested why Faverolles are not line bred as I have learned with my other breeds.

It sounds like the unrelated hen shouldn't be considered at all, so she'll stay in the egglaying flock.

Almost all the cockerels have tails that look like that.. There is one that is wider in the tail, he's the one who had an injured eyelid when he was a chick and it's stayed that way. He can close his eyes but it looks weird. He's easy to pick out of the crowd at least. They are still in the skitish phase, they keep their distance from me, but I'll try to get them banded and get better photos of them sometime soon.

My choice now boils down to eliminating the Favs or the Javas... I enjoy the Favs a LOT more, but I think my Javas have less faults overall.
If you are having a baby soon you should definitely cut back in your breeds. Mine are older now but I STILL do not have much free time.

The double mating idea is much debated - some think it is necessary while others do not. It is definitely not something you need to do if you choose not to go there. Count me in the not to go there party.

Line breeding is separate from inbreeding. Line breeding is father to daughters, mother to son, or aunts to nephew. Inbreeding is breeding siblings. Inbreeding will double down on faults. Linebreeding can also produce faults but they tend to be less extreme than those produced by inbreeding.

Faverolles are a difficult breed. Good BLRW aren't easy either.

Back
Top Bottom