Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Roosters are easy to sell down here, they go like hot cakes
smile.png

I posted about a week ago about my slow-developing Faverolles chick.
She is now about 2 1/2 weeks old ans seems so far behind the others in growth and feathering out. Although she's made some progress in wing feathering, they seem to be coming in slightly curled, and she still has no signs of tail feathers.
Below are some pictures I took today. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is abnormal or possibly a sign of some nutritional deficiency or malabsorbtion? As you can see, the other chicks are feathering out well, and have back feathers coming in, while my little Faverolles is still 80% fuzz.
I obtained her from My Pet Chicken and, as I said, she did have a rough start--caused, I'm assuming, by shipping stress. But she's currently alert, and eating and drinking well.

86430_left_wing.jpg

86430_right_wing.jpg

86430_top_view.jpg

Quote:
For 2 1/2 weeks, she seems fine. They develop slower then other chicks, kind of like Cochins. No, it's bad when you have a 3 month old chick that is less developed then a 1 month old chick. ): I have a poor Fav roo who got an eye infection and stopped growing for 2 months. And now that it's healed up, he is having a hard time walking. I think he may have a calcium deficiency. If your chick continues to mature at a slow pace, you may try supplementing her with calcium too.

Quote:
Really?! I always see them free on craigslist here in Washington. I wonder what the difference is.

Maybe the ammount of people that roll up their sleeves and sharpen their knives! Lol it does seem like there are a lot of people from Washington on this site, maybe they just breed their own?
idunno.gif

Quote:
For 2 1/2 weeks, she seems fine. They develop slower then other chicks, kind of like Cochins. No, it's bad when you have a 3 month old chick that is less developed then a 1 month old chick. ): I have a poor Fav roo who got an eye infection and stopped growing for 2 months. And now that it's healed up, he is having a hard time walking. I think he may have a calcium deficiency. If your chick continues to mature at a slow pace, you may try supplementing her with calcium too.

Merci Beaucoup, Napolean!
I'll keep an eye on her.
Best of luck with your roo! I hope you're able to get him back on track soon!

Quote:
Really?! I always see them free on craigslist here in Washington. I wonder what the difference is.

Large group of people down here that love to eat the roosters

Quote:
I always have 2 boys together, and there is definitely a dominant roo and they occasionally have a stand off, but they never really get into it. Faverolles were originally bred to be an excellent meat bird, and they are. I know not everyone can eat birds that they raise from chicks, but extra Fav roos at my house = soup. And they are FANTASTIC!!!

I agree!
droolin.gif
I had "Faverolle roo" & dumplings last night!
droolin.gif
thumbsup.gif

Hi yall, I hatched out some eggs awhile back from starbrightfarm and ended up with only two hatching. At that they are both roosters, but it isn't so bad. One of them is a blue salmon! So now I'm on the hunt for a couple of hens around the middle TN area. Thanks for any help.

Ok, so, I have only one bantam roo, and I was hoping to show him at the Crossroads in October, when I caught my big cochin hen plucking out his beard. Short of killing the cochin - it was close there for a minute - is there anything I can do to prevent this from continuing? I don't really have a way to isolate him from the others. Besides, that would be mean. Is there anything I can apply to the beard, or anything, to discourage this? I apologize if this has been covered before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom