Faverolles with Silkies?

Chicnsrthebest

Chirping
14 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Hi:

I'm interested in getting some Standard Faverolles, and I've read that they are a timid breed, often bullied, and should be kept separate from other breeds.

How would they fare if kept with Silkies? Will Silkies boss them around too?

Just my experience here....

I have SFs with silkies, turkens, EEs, speckled sussex, and now mixed breed chicks from those breeds. They also free range with my brahmas from my other coop. I've never run into a problem.

I treat all my chickens like what they are, chickens. The only concession I've ever made to their unique looks is to give my silkies haircuts to make it easier for them to see while free ranging.

My SFs are not at the lower end of the pecking order, they are closer to the top. The three that I have - Doe, Ray and Mi, take turns going broody. Doe has been broody twice (is right now), then it was Ray, then Mi, then Doe again. It's a neverending cycle with those three.
roll.png

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe one can chalk it up to individual birds and their temperaments then.

I also saw an ad from someone who was selling a pair and stated that they had to be kept in their own quarters, so maybe she just had other chickens who were bossy.

I read they would be at the bottom of the pecking order in a mixed flock. I have two and one is BFF with the it girl head hen crowd and the other one, Petal, barely likes to leave the coop/run she's just kinda mellow like that. She hangs out with the cochin and the andalusian who are at the bottom of the pecking order. I don't see either of them get picked on and Flower doesn't take any nonsense off the other girls.

Quote:
I had actually asked about it before ordering SFs, having read the same thing - that they would be picked on. It simply has not been my experience. My three have stuck up for themselves and done it well.

I have two standards and I had a hard time intergrating them in the established flock,had to try three times they have been in there since last fall and are doing ok now.I was glad to hear that yours have gone broody,I have 30 big girls bo`s ,ee`s, sexlinks ,and faverolles and none have gone broody yet,still waiting.

Quote:
These three started going broody before they were 8 months old, or was it 7? Haven't stopped yet.
hmm.png

I should mention that they were raised with the other breeds from day one in the brooder together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom