Favorite canning book

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by snewman, Aug 29, 2010.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I have just tried my hand at canning for the first time. I kind of like it! I'd like to get a book. Do any of you have a favorite book on canning? I would like one that has some basic canning information but also detailed info on exactly how to can a variety of foods, recipes, processing times, etc. I would ultimately like to can things like soups, sauces, meats, etc. I just started with pickles and tomatoes. Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I highly recommend the BALL BLUE BOOK. The Ball people are the ones that make the jars and canning lids. The book has recipes for just about everything you'd want to can with detailed instructions and pictures too! I just got done canning salsa and I'm finishing up my fourth batch of pasta sauce. Good luck!

3. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Thanks, I'll give that one a try!

4. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I second the Ball Blue Book!

5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
  6. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I use the Ball book, but also have an old Farmers Journel canning and freezing book.

7. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I have the Ball book, but my fav and my bible for canning is Putting food by.

8. Shaun

Shaun Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    If you want to know about more than just canning Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book has lots of info. Carla's gone now, and I don't think the newer issues are as good as the older ones, but she'll tell you lots! It was our Bible of Getting Back to the Land when we were young back in the 70's.

9. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Carla's gone? I hadn't heard.[​IMG]
    Wrote to her a few times, a great lady to get info from and share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by