Favorite canning/preserving recipe YOU created

Hi all. Good posts. You can can (haha) just about anything. If you are water bath or steam canning anything it has to be acidic enough. If you are pressure canning things you need to choose the item that needs the longest proccessing time and time for that. Don't forget to factor in your altitude. Processing meat takes the longest time in the pressure canner. If you're canning chili it would be 90 mins for the meat. Beans don't take as long but as long as you have meat in there you have to process the full 90 minutes. I have a favorite barley beef soup that we like to can. It uses up the odds and ends from the garden and it's cheaper than Campbells.

My veggie soup figured to just $5 for something like 9 quarts of soup!! We've already gotten about 6 meals out of the jars that didn't seal well. In and of itself, that's worthwhile. I'm going to take a couple of the pint jars to work to keep in my desk drawer for days when I forget lunch.

I made a big batch of baked beans today. So big, in fact, that I didn't think DBF and I could eat them all. (Lest we create a toxic cloud over the Pacific Northwest... not pretty!) Anyway, I went online to see if I could can the beans. I can can! I've got 4 pints of baked beans in the pressure cooker at this very moment. I'm psyched to save the freezer space and to be able to have the beans on hand for another day.

Great point about canning for the longest item. I think that pressure canning is less risky than BWB, since you don't have to worry about acidity, just heat penetration.

Thanks for sharing everyone
smile.png

Gotta love them baked beans JennsPeeps
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom