Favorite canning/preserving recipe YOU created

werblessd1s

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
NORTH FLORIDA
Just wanting to see any canning, preserving recipes that is good and different from the norm.
smile.png

you have to be careful creating your own recipes to make sure that they are properly processed and safe for home-canning to prevent illness.

Oh no, not me. I am not takeing any chances with canning my veggies. With the late spring floods....had to replant..then the super hot and dry summer....I am lucky to have anything to put up! I am sticking to my grandma's tried and true recipes. Maybe next year...then again...probably not! LOL

I agree about not makign up your own recipes. It's just too risky for health reasons, not to mention the chance of spoilage & losing your investment of time/energy/money.

I have canned the heck out of this book: http://www.amazon.com/BALL-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314
51G3Y8PRE3L._SL500_.jpg

I've probably made at least 10-15 of its recipes, and drooled over many more. The recipes match a modern palate, so you won't find any funky things that nobody would dream of eating. Today I'm making the pickled roasted red peppers and the roasted red pepper spread!

Wow, I figured some of these awesome ladies on here that has been canning forever would have come up with something unique..... interesting. Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't give up so soon. Perhaps there is some confusion over different canning techniques (I cant be sure)? I like to keep things simple and combine in the recipe.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
I did make vanilla peach jam this year & sorta "invented" the recipe. I just followed a regular recipe for peach jam & threw in some vanilla beans that had gotten too hard to use for other purposes. Here's to hoping that it's good!

All the vanilla peach jam recipes I saw online included spirits of some kind. I didn't want to go buy a $15+ bottle of something just to have 1-2 ounces for a recipe.

Besides, I used all the brandy in the house to make brandied cherries!! My family is DYING for Thanksgiving, as I've promised to pull the cherries out for that occassion. DBF doesn't seem as excited but oh well. He's waiting patiently for my 6 gallons of dill pickles (made with my grandparents' old stoneware crock!!) to be ready.
smile.png

It's been so hot here that I am freezing a lot of stuff that I might normally can.
I froze tomatoe sauce, peaches, peach jam, strawberry jam and even some beets. I never tried freezing beets before so I also canned some just in case...lol I will be doing pears as soon as the ones here in the boxes get ripe enough.
smile.png

Nothing wrong in trying new things to can as long as you can them the right way. My friend just made her own recipe of blueberry and lemon marmalade and her own bread and butter pickle recipe. They were the best pickles I've ever had in my life. I hope she wrote down what she did. I ate the whole jar in two days time.

She also brought me pickled green beans with chili peppers and garlic...can't wait to try those out too.

I don't can, but I've been freezing a lot of stuff this year. I won't need to make another zucchini anything for a long time!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom