Favorite Chicken!?!

Pics
The name could be worse. My kids named our magnificent roo "Mr. Dummy-Pants," and somehow it stuck. Yesterday we were at the state fair & we saw an orp roo that looked just like ours with a big rosette on his cage. The kids said "Look! He's just like Mr Dummy-Pamts!" and then we quickly had most the people around us laughing.

LOL!!!! We have a rooster named Mr. Mop.
IMG_0014.JPG

With great sadness I must tell you that our beloved Darth Layer (aka Darthy & DL) passed away today. She has always been a flock favorite and a sensitive, loyal, loving bird. She is now at peace and joins her sister Cuddles.

Who knew that this fun "science experiment" would give us a flock & change our lives?
Although we've had many chickens, Darth Layer, was something special.

She perfected her art of Photo-bombing. (Taught by Precious who is still our undefeated champ.)

Darthy was one of the original "treat monsters" and ALWAYS one of the 1st hens to come running when called. She loved to jump up into the air to catch a high flying treat. She also always had a look about her - like she had a secret. Although most people think of me as an owner of impressive Lav orps, it's the black iridescent shine of DL's feathers that was truly impressive. And of course the name: Darth Layer has its own share of great stories.

We have a white hen: Princess Lay-a, so when a black orp hatched, we joked about how it was the opposite, so we nicknamed it "Darth Layer." We always joked how she used "the force" to make us give her treats and sang the Imperial March (Darth Vader's tune) whenever we shared a funny story about her.
(Clucking: Bawk, Bawk, Bawk, Ba Ba Baaa-wk, Ba Ba Baaa-wk....)
BTW- Cookie also hatched with Darth Layer. We didn't intend to keep a bantam with LF, but she had a lot of spirit and stayed close to her sister & protector: Darth Layer. DL's sidekick, Cookie, later earned the nickname - "the Bantam Menace" and we no longer worried about little Cookie getting bullied.

Below: Cuddles, DL, & Cookie when they 1st saw snow & were not impressed. They didn't leave the run until it all melted.

Most importantly, Darthy was the heart of the flock. When chicks grew older & left by their mama, DL would look after them to make sure they were OK and ease their transition. When roos would be rehomed or hens sold to new homes (even if a bully) DL would notice & get depressed. She stopped laying for 6 months when her other sister & buddy, Cuddles, died. Darthy enjoyed snuggles and her favorite person was my DD.

DD is now crying & will be for several days. When school started DD plastered her locker with multiple chickens pics - many are of Darthy. Her teacher requested each child bring in a photo from the summer for a class project. She brought in a pic of herself with 2 silkies & DL in her lap. That is how I will remember DL= snuggled up in DD's arms while reading a book, watching TV, or relaxing under her tree.
dl-2-jpg.1124832

RIP my sweet Darth Layer.
:hit

Back
Top Bottom