Favorite duck breed and why?

I would agree that a duck's personality is largely influenced by how you raise and treat them, as well as by their other life experiences and their flock members. Plus, each duck is an individual, just like people are. For example @Quatie has a fearless dominant khaki. Where my khaki campbell was more shy and reserved, letting all the other ducks boss her around and eat first. And my welsh harlequin is my bravest! My crested pekin is awesome, however her health issues have dug me into an early grave with worry and cost me a fortune in veterinary expenses - so I'm not sure I can recommend that breed. I also had a cayuga before and she was delightful, too. I guess I enjoy having a variety!

Attachments

• 497CB4AF-E7B1-4286-B9B8-E6BA6A381748.jpeg
    497CB4AF-E7B1-4286-B9B8-E6BA6A381748.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 6241C36C-94F9-4B0F-AB91-4C0666E0737F.jpeg
    6241C36C-94F9-4B0F-AB91-4C0666E0737F.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm looking for a friendly / easy to tame breed that will eat slugs in my moms garden and lay lots of eggs. If you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them!
It sounds like you are describing silver Appleyards! :) We keep a small flock of silver Appleyard ducks, and they are very much part of our garden plan. They have devoured our slug and snail populations, and their bedding/manure is great for our raised beds. We get, on average, 250 eggs per year per hen. Ours are remarkably friendly (perhaps even adorable little beggars at times), and they come when called. They are a large breed duck.

It sounds like you are describing silver Appleyards! :) We keep a small flock of silver Appleyard ducks, and they are very much part of our garden plan. They have devoured our slug and snail populations, and their bedding/manure is great for our raised beds. We get, on average, 250 eggs per year per hen. Ours are remarkably friendly (perhaps even adorable little beggars at times), and they come when called. They are a large breed duck.

Wow those are adorable! I'll definitely be considering those since they sound so friendly. I'd never researched them before, so thanks for telling me about them!

Your ducks are just like mine in the videos! The slug eating (even the, oh no don't eat another you are still choking on the first!), the gardening, going on walks, and being excited to play! I just love your ducklings!

My pekin is not a great forager... Lol. She's quite lazy and wants me to hand feed her. Which is really quite charming as well.

Your ducks are just like mine in the videos! The slug eating (even the, oh no don't eat another you are still choking on the first!), the gardening, going on walks, and being excited to play! I just love your ducklings!

My pekin is not a great forager... Lol. She's quite lazy and wants me to hand feed her. Which is really quite charming as well.
We love all the individual personalities!

I would agree that a duck's personality is largely influenced by how you raise and treat them, as well as by their other life experiences and their flock members. Plus, each duck is an individual, just like people are. For example @Quatie has a fearless dominant khaki. Where my khaki campbell was more shy and reserved, letting all the other ducks boss her around and eat first. And my welsh harlequin is my bravest! My crested pekin is awesome, however her health issues have dug me into an early grave with worry and cost me a fortune in veterinary expenses - so I'm not sure I can recommend that breed. I also had a cayuga before and she was delightful, too. I guess I enjoy having a variety!
Thanks for the info! Do you have any tips on how to raise them to be really friendly?

Ducks are so awesome and there's just so many to choose from! My mom only wants 2 ducks, so I think the easiest way to do that is to get a couple of the same breed. I wish I could just get all the duck breeds though 😆

Back
Top Bottom