Favorite duck breed or breeds and why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ben337, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Ben337

Ben337 Chirping

Apr 10, 2019
    South central louisiana
    The more research I do on ducks the more I find them fascinating. I would like personal experiences and opinions on favorite breeds please. Thanks in advance!

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What are your goals - eggs, meat, yard ornaments ?

casportpony and FluffTheDuck like this.
  3. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    For eggs, I like KC, Golden 300's, and white layers.

For lawn ornaments I like my current flock of crested blue swedish, and my last flock of Welsh Harlequins. The WH were good layers for me, dunno yet about the crested Blue Swedish. Also have 2 KC's in this flock, and notice they are more nervous than the other ducks I have/had.

I don't raise ducks for meat, but any of the heavy breeds do very well. Pekins are going to grow the fastest, but others such as Silver Appleyard's, Saxony's, etc, are said to taste better. They are also more likely to be good mother's, capable of hatching and raising their own babies.

So totally depends on what your goals are. What are you looking for?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. Ben337

Ben337 Chirping

Apr 10, 2019
    South central louisiana
    I would like some decent laying ducks, not flighty or less inclined to fly, and also a broody to sustain flock! They don't have to be overly friendly but yes it does help.

5. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    My current flock consist of Welsh Harlequin, Khaki Campbell, Buff, Ancona, and Muscovy. The KCs are by far the best layers but my least favorite overall. They are VERY skittish. My WH is an excellent layer and went broody for the first time this year at a year old. She was a very dedicated sitter and wonderful mother which is pretty typical of the breed. She is also very friendly and easy to handle.

MIDuckLady and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I love my blue swedish, they are hardy, friendly, good layers of good size eggs

my KCs are decent layers, but the eggs are smaller and they are much more skittish

Timothy Menezes and Jbently28 like this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Appleyard are my favourite for a duel purpose Duck..Calls Ducks as pets are fantastic too...

HuffleClaw and Timothy Menezes like this.
  8. I chose to focus my flock on Welsh Harlequins. They are very docile and friendly, so I find it easy to corral them and bring them to food/treats whenever I call them. They are also good layers (I have tracked one of my ducks since the beginning of the year and she has only missed 3 days so far) of large white eggs. Not to mention they are absolutely beautiful!

And despite their best attempts at times, I have never seen them fly more that a foot off the ground in more-or-less a grand "leap" toward something.

9. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Funny you mention the easy to corral part. My WH leads everyone into the coop each night as soon as she sees me come out.

Tannerpauldean likes this.
  10. bubbyduck

bubbyduck In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    Australia
    yard ornaments hahaha :D

MIDuckLady and Timothy Menezes like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: