Favorite duck breeds?

I love my silver appleyards. I have runners as well but I find them to be a lot jumpier and not as cuddly. My appleyard duck will just stand there and let me pick her up and carry her around. She’ll sit in my lap and hang out. Sometimes I trip over her because she’s just kind of there. All. The. Time. :p
I also recently added call ducks and they’re fun little characters. Loud as all get out and a little on the skittish side, but they’ve come right around with treats and are always hanging around hoping for a handout. :)

I love my silver appleyards. I have runners as well but I find them to be a lot jumpier and not as cuddly. My appleyard duck will just stand there and let me pick her up and carry her around. She’ll sit in my lap and hang out. Sometimes I trip over her because she’s just kind of there. All. The. Time. :p
I also recently added call ducks and they’re fun little characters. Loud as all get out and a little on the skittish side, but they’ve come right around with treats and are always hanging around hoping for a handout. :)
Did you raise them from ducklings? My 2 Swedish I got when they were a couple days old and they were so cuddly and would get in my lap for treats at first but then I adopted some adult ducks who still don’t trust me and now my Swedish ducks are starting to hang back with the rest of them and stopped greeting me :(

Did you raise them from ducklings? My 2 Swedish I got when they were a couple days old and they were so cuddly and would get in my lap for treats at first but then I adopted some adult ducks who still don’t trust me and now my Swedish ducks are starting to hang back with the rest of them and stopped greeting me :(
I’ve raised all of mine but the calls from day olds or from hatch in my group, and a big part of it is simply individual personalities. I definitely find as many of us do on here that they seem to go through a faze as “teenagers” when people are just scary, no matter how much they liked humans as babies. I’ve always tried to just let them have some space but still lure them with treats and just hang out near them during this time frame without pushing them too hard. Not sure if it coincides with when they’re molting their baby feathers but it seems like it, at least with mine. I think they’re hardwired to be distrustful of everything when they’re at a disadvantage like that. The ironic thing is the appleyard duck that is always near me? She had a really bad foot injury that got infected and it took me almost 2 months to clear it up. I thought for sure she’d hate me and keep her distance after all of that but she’s still her usual happy, friendly self, so you never really know. :)

sidenote, I had 2 Swedish ducklings last season that I raised from day old and the one was a nervous nelly but would settle down somewhat once you had her. The other one was 🦇💩 crazy. It bit me as hard as it could any time I picked it up, and raked with its feet at anything within reach. Even my adult drakes at peak breeding season have never been so badly behaved. Lol. Definitely an individual thing, because those 2 were in the same group and handled just as much as my appleyard. Go figure. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’ve raised all of mine but the calls from day olds or from hatch in my group, and a big part of it is simply individual personalities. I definitely find as many of us do on here that they seem to go through a faze as “teenagers” when people are just scary, no matter how much they liked humans as babies. I’ve always tried to just let them have some space but still lure them with treats and just hang out near them during this time frame without pushing them too hard. Not sure if it coincides with when they’re molting their baby feathers but it seems like it, at least with mine. I think they’re hardwired to be distrustful of everything when they’re at a disadvantage like that. The ironic thing is the appleyard duck that is always near me? She had a really bad foot injury that got infected and it took me almost 2 months to clear it up. I thought for sure she’d hate me and keep her distance after all of that but she’s still her usual happy, friendly self, so you never really know. :)

sidenote, I had 2 Swedish ducklings last season that I raised from day old and the one was a nervous nelly but would settle down somewhat once you had her. The other one was 🦇💩 crazy. It bit me as hard as it could any time I picked it up, and raked with its feet at anything within reach. Even my adult drakes at peak breeding season have never been so badly behaved. Lol. Definitely an individual thing, because those 2 were in the same group and handled just as much as my appleyard. Go figure. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Both of my Swedish are boys that were raised together and when one had a foot injury the other would charge any duck that came near him and now months later he’s charging at the one he was protecting 😓 It’s not super aggressive but I’m not sure why his attitude has changed. We had a huge temperature drop here this last weekend so I haven’t been sitting out with them for hours like I was so that probably has something to do with the skittish behavior

Both of my Swedish are boys that were raised together and when one had a foot injury the other would charge any duck that came near him and now months later he’s charging at the one he was protecting 😓 It’s not super aggressive but I’m not sure why his attitude has changed. We had a huge temperature drop here this last weekend so I haven’t been sitting out with them for hours like I was so that probably has something to do with the skittish behavior
That’s frustrating. :( my super-people-attached drake took on the role of protector for the other little drake I was keeping when he was small. Now he just tries to mate with him all the time. 🤦‍♀️ He’s a little confused. Haha. But no fighting.

How old are your dudes? I found a huge shift in attitude after my 2 went through puberty. They’re still friendly but they definitely don’t see me as mama anymore.

That’s frustrating. :( my super-people-attached drake took on the role of protector for the other little drake I was keeping when he was small. Now he just tries to mate with him all the time. 🤦‍♀️ He’s a little confused. Haha. But no fighting.

How old are your dudes? I found a huge shift in attitude after my 2 went through puberty. They’re still friendly but they definitely don’t see me as mama anymore.

they were born in May so only about 6 months old! He isn’t trying to fight my other drake but he does keep charging at him for a brief moment and then just stops 😓

Back
Top Bottom