Help with breed choices!

Bb8

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2023
Help a new duck person out! Just starting out with a backyard setup and I don’t have space for all the ducks I want so I need to choose the best 3 from this list. Priorities are friendly (especially with small children running around), quieter (can’t be annoying to nearby neighbors), eggs, and just good pet ducks. So all the things haha.

Current top breeds on my list are magpie, blue swedish, buff, crested, and welsh harlequin. I always thought I wanted a Pekin but not sure now with all these other fun ones too. If you had to pick 3 from that list which would be your favs for what I’m describing and why? Thank you for any experience and insight for a clueless newbie!

Don't go with Pekins! They are nasty and bite everyone in my family they also make a very big mess everywhere else as well.
For the things you are looking for in a duck breed... I would go with Blue Swedish, Buff, and Welsh Harlequin.
It also depends on weather you are getting a male or a female duck. Females ducks are much friendlier than male ducks.
Hopefully all goes well with starting your new flock of ducks! :)🦆

i have welsh harlequins they’re great . I don’t know about buff or blue Swedish, but my favorites are runner ducks although they’re not on your list.
Either get all females or only one drake with at least four females otherwise fight troubles over breeding and injuries occur

My Muscovy are fine, they've never attacked me or my grandson. I prefer them to regular domestics. Big bonus: QUIET! Big drawback: not many eggs and go broody (if that's a drawback for you).

My own personal experience, Kahki Campbells are flighty and nervous.

I haven't tried any other duck breed besides Pekin, and I wouldn't suggest getting Pekins. They are loud, rather annoying at times, and the males can be aggressive with chasing you for dominance.

For reference my flock consists of:

Hens - Muscovy, Silver Appleyard, Welsh Harlequin, Blue Swedish, Hinny (Muscovy x Appleyard)

Drakes - Silver Appleyard, Hinny

ALL hand raised, inside the house, except the Hinnies

Quiet - ONLY the Muscovy & Hinnies
Friendliest ranked -
  1. Muscovy hen or drake (their like feathered puppies, extremely intelligent)
  2. Silver Appleyard (kids love mine, I can easily pick one up and cuddle)
  3. Welsh Harlequin (can be social, not the bravest one but if it sees my Appleyard come up to me then she will follow suit)
  4. Blue Swedish (can still be skittish and tend to keep their distance)
1000029111.jpg

We have Welsh harlequin and they follow us around. They don't love being picked up/cuddled too much but tolerate it. They are pretty friendly and always looking for treats. They'll climb in our lap for treats. I'm getting more harlequins, a magpie, and a Saxony this year to try something new.

Back
Top Bottom