Favorite EE had wing ripped off by predator. Recommendations to prevent infection?

Pics

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hi All,
Been having a predator problem. Had my favorite EE who we are now calling “One Wing” get her wing ripped off a few days ago. I’ve just been super busy with everything I haven’t had time to ask for advice! She seems to be eating and drinking well now. What I’ve done so far is:

day 1- found her, bleeding had all but stopped. Chicken was in shock. Washed the wound, sanitized my hands, and then her wound with hydrogen peroxide. Wrapped her wing nub in gauze and a wrap. Went to TSC to get supplies for the wound.
Later: unwrapped and applied Vectricyn RX spray to wing nub (wound). Let dry a bit, then applied hen healer ointment to nub so gauze doesn’t stick. I do this TWICE a day, minimum. And since yesterday (day 2) I’ve been fully covering the nub with a cut short sleeve she can’t get off and been letting her run around with her sisters, because she wants to be a real chicken.
Overnight she stays in her kennel with vitamin water and her food pellets. Very little eating or drinking till today.

I’ve been syringe feeding her water with vitamins (duravet) and also giving her nutri-drench twice a day via syringe feeding since day one.

This is all I’ve done except for isolating her inside in the cool air in her kennel (safe and clean) away from flies mosquitoes, other birds etc.

Any recommendations for what else I should do? She is actually doing really well but I’m worried about possible infection at this point. I haven’t don’t antibiotic, an no, I cannot afford an avian vet (thank you).
Was thinking possible antibiotics but idk what kind at all!

thanks y’all.
I’ll post pics of her and the nub and stuff over here.
Warning- graphic

Cheers
M

Attachments

• 02DE4656-FED6-42F2-98F3-293127052173.jpeg
    02DE4656-FED6-42F2-98F3-293127052173.jpeg
    702.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 2044BCEF-E932-4DC7-B4F2-09848E5F0D15.jpeg
    2044BCEF-E932-4DC7-B4F2-09848E5F0D15.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 64081DA1-206E-445F-A265-CB1C1C67C0F2.jpeg
    64081DA1-206E-445F-A265-CB1C1C67C0F2.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 5145E3CF-4628-4424-9276-2DFE0225DCEE.jpeg
    5145E3CF-4628-4424-9276-2DFE0225DCEE.jpeg
    528.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 2A351244-E028-4074-8FBF-664D6226EAEB.jpeg
    2A351244-E028-4074-8FBF-664D6226EAEB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
Oh lord! That seems so painful! Everything you have done seems to be perfect but, I'm not the greatest with stuff like that so I wouldn't say for sure. I think as long as there is some good ointment and a wrap around the wound she should heal ok. I really dont have any other recommendations but I truly wish you the best of luck! Keep a real good eye on her eating and drinking habbits, and all should be well!

It sounds like you’re doing a good job. Unfortunately the wound is rather messy. Looks like bone and shredded bits of muscle, so the big concern there is increase risk of infection and slowing down the healing time. Other than finding a vet though, I’m not sure there’s much you could do for that except keeping doing what you’re doing. A vet would likely amputate all of the remaining wing and close the hole up nicely. I worry about all of the exposed bone too, whether or not skin will grow over it. I am also in agreement that if she’s more willing to be with the flock, it’s probably best she stays with them. I had a hen with a broken wing and she was VERY CLEAR in her desire to be with the rest of the flock, so that’s where she went and she was much happier. Mental health is just as important as physical, even for chickens.

Please keep us updated. I hope your sweet girl heals smoothly!

Last edited:
I am so sorry for you and your poor bird!
It sounds like you are taking good care of her wounds. I just wanted to warn you to watch out for a fly-strike in the wound. (Flies will lay eggs in an open wound, and then, once they hatch, it is not fun to be picking maggots out of the wound - personal experience from other pets). Do your best to keep it covered so nothing can get in it. If you notice her getting hot and sweaty around the covering while she is outdoors, it may be best to take her inside for a while (or in an enclosed area). Flies are attracted to the hot, sweaty areas and could lay eggs in this moist environment.
I don't want to scare you, I just want you to be aware of this because it could be devastating to the bird's health if it is accidentally overlooked.

I hope your little girl feels better soon!

I think you are doing a great job with wound. Keep eye out for infection. It should be slowly healing not get worse, redness pus, foul smell etc. Keep spraying and ointment and yes watch for flies. I'm glad she wants to be with flock that is good news .

Oh lord! That seems so painful! Everything you have done seems to be perfect but, I'm not the greatest with stuff like that so I wouldn't say for sure. I think as long as there is some good ointment and a wrap around the wound she should heal ok. I really dont have any other recommendations but I truly wish you the best of luck! Keep a real good eye on her eating and drinking habbits, and all should be well!
Thank you! 💜

It sounds like you’re doing a good job. Unfortunately the wound is rather messy. Looks like bone and shredded bits of muscle, so the big concern there is increase risk of infection and slowing down the healing time. Other than finding a vet though, I’m not sure there’s much you could do for that except keeping doing what you’re doing. A vet would likely amputate all of the remaining wing and close the hole up nicely. I worry about all of the exposed bone too, whether or not skin will grow over it. I am also in agreement that if she’s more willing to be with the flock, it’s probably best she stays with them. I had a hen with a broken wing and she was VERY CLEAR in her desire to be with the rest of the flock, so that’s where she went and she was much happier. Mental health is just as important as physical, even for chickens.

Please keep us updated. I hope your sweet girl heals smoothly!
Thank you 💙

Back
Top Bottom