Favorite layer feeds

OK, my first questions are "Why Organic/nonGMO/Soy Free"?

Not that I necessarily have anything against those labels, but they dramatically increase your price, while simultaneously making it much harder to get a nutritionally complete feed.

Kalmback is very popular, they are whole grain feeds (plus a vitamin powder the birds have to eat, or the diet suffers!), and they have a number of Organic, non-GMO, and/or no Soy options. Many new owners feed it, then come here when their birds start showing nutritional issues (or simple failure to thrive) - most of the experienced users of the feed serve it wet, sprouted, or fermented - not only to ensure that all the flock actually eats the critical powder, but because Kalmback (like all whole grain feeds) suffers a problem inherent in the design. The top chickens in the pecking order will pick out the seeds they like, leaving others the less desired seeds.

Purina's offerings aren't Organic, though they do have some non-GMO, and are extremely popular with the "All Flock/Flock Raiser" plus free choice oyster shell group - which is the easiest, reasonable expense way of ensuring your whole flock gets optimum off the shelf nutrition. Buy in bulk, 50# bag.

Nutrena Naturewise Flock Raiser is used interchangeably with Purina's All Flock in BYC shorthand. Its "All Natural", whatever that means (not what you think), not Organic. Again, free choice oyster shell on the side. Like Purina, you will find the Nutrena readily stocked by most big farm stores, many mom and pops, maybe some pet stores as well. Nutrena *looks* cheaper, lower price per bag - but its a 40# bag, not a 50# - so price/lb is likely higher.

I've used both, without issue. I don't feed either, now - my flock is far too large to make it cost effective.

All the feeds I linked are 20% protein, moderate amounts of fat, fiber, and (when compared to layer feeds) relatively low amounts of calcium. They will fit the bill for all your birds, of all ages, and both sexes. That's the quick summary.

If you want to get really deep into the weeds, I can compare the feeds and tell you which one I now believe is best (generally) and why. and if I can find nutrition info for the brands you are considering, will evaluate those too. But I'm not going to volunteer that time (and a longer post) trying to summarize why.
The Kalmbach I feed is a crumble, they get a wet mash of it every evening ;)

Thank you for the correction - I'll have to caveat that in the future, that not all of their feeds are whole grain. Appreciate you flagging the error.
Just wanted the OP to know there are other options. I switched to Purina for awhile and it just didn't have that nice fresh smell that the Kalmbach did. I don't know, I'm just a stickler for certain things. But I definitely appreciate your breakdown of the many options, helps people see through all the BS and just get down to the brass tacks!

Just wanted the OP to know there are other options. I switched to Purina for awhile and it just didn't have that nice fresh smell that the Kalmbach did. I don't know, I'm just a stickler for certain things. But I definitely appreciate your breakdown of the many options, helps people see through all the BS and just get down to the brass tacks!
How much is the Kalmbach per bag?

Yes, that's the brand I feed. Because- 1. Nutrena's bag looks visually smaller. 2. Purina's comes in a crumble (my store only gets the Nutrena pellets) 3. It was less $$ and I like it better than Nutrena's. (As I have already said.:))

@U_Stormcrow ? I think your online right now.
OK, my first questions are "Why Organic/nonGMO/Soy Free"?

Not that I necessarily have anything against those labels, but they dramatically increase your price, while simultaneously making it much harder to get a nutritionally complete feed.

Kalmback is very popular, they are whole grain feeds (plus a vitamin powder the birds have to eat, or the diet suffers!), and they have a number of Organic, non-GMO, and/or no Soy options. Many new owners feed it, then come here when their birds start showing nutritional issues (or simple failure to thrive) - most of the experienced users of the feed serve it wet, sprouted, or fermented - not only to ensure that all the flock actually eats the critical powder, but because Kalmback (like all whole grain feeds) suffers a problem inherent in the design. The top chickens in the pecking order will pick out the seeds they like, leaving others the less desired seeds.

Purina's offerings aren't Organic, though they do have some non-GMO, and are extremely popular with the "All Flock/Flock Raiser" plus free choice oyster shell group - which is the easiest, reasonable expense way of ensuring your whole flock gets optimum off the shelf nutrition. Buy in bulk, 50# bag.

Nutrena Naturewise Flock Raiser is used interchangeably with Purina's All Flock in BYC shorthand. Its "All Natural", whatever that means (not what you think), not Organic. Again, free choice oyster shell on the side. Like Purina, you will find the Nutrena readily stocked by most big farm stores, many mom and pops, maybe some pet stores as well. Nutrena *looks* cheaper, lower price per bag - but its a 40# bag, not a 50# - so price/lb is likely higher.

I've used both, without issue. I don't feed either, now - my flock is far too large to make it cost effective.

All the feeds I linked are 20% protein, moderate amounts of fat, fiber, and (when compared to layer feeds) relatively low amounts of calcium. They will fit the bill for all your birds, of all ages, and both sexes. That's the quick summary.

If you want to get really deep into the weeds, I can compare the feeds and tell you which one I now believe is best (generally) and why. and if I can find nutrition info for the brands you are considering, will evaluate those too. But I'm not going to volunteer that time (and a longer post) trying to summarize why.
Thank you, this is all very helpful!

Kalmbach has Henhouse Reserve, which is a whole grain feed with pellets, not powder like many of the others. It is conventional feed. I Pay $18 for a 30 lb. bag, bur only use 2 cups a day in the morning for a treat. The hens do love it! It is correct that Kalmbach has organic & non GMO options. I love their Full Plume & Feathering Feed which is 20% layer. Their 17% is good also. They have many selections, most of which your feed store may not carry. If they are a dedicated Kalmbach dealer, they should be able to order you any kind of feed you want. I love Kalmbach feed. I also love Green Mountain, but it I have a hard time getting it fresh in PA.

Back
Top Bottom