Favorite Roo

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by highpointfarm, Mar 12, 2012.

1. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    This is going to be a thread of pics of your favorite roos and funny stories about them =]

[​IMG]

This is fred =] no funny stories but he is my only roo, hes HUGE and ILH

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]

Here's mine!!!

Not exactly what you were going for. But I live in the city and "real" roosters are not allowed. But I felt my girls needs some type of leader figure when I wasn't around so this is what they got. For the most part, they ignore him. His white tail attracts bugs and my BO LOVES to peck at his tail and he makes this wonderful TWANANANGGGGGGGG sound when she does. Cracks me up every time.

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, his name is Rusty.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

This is my only rooster.

Stan the Man, the wattle waving fool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He just can't keep his wattles clean.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    spice, AWESOME

Oldchick, I LOVE HIS EYES IN THE FIRST PICTURE xD he is awesome!

6. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Aww, it always makes my day when is see pics of Stan " the Wattle " Man !!! Love that boy !

7. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I love all these rooster stories and pics, even the metal one! LOL. Great idea for a thread.

This is a rooster I hatched from an egg, Good Guy. He had the tamest personality:

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/4/4b/200x200px-ZC-4b9fd66f_84553_dscf7067cr_1.jpeg

One time his sister squawked loudly when I picked her up. Good Guy came over and let me know my behavior was inapproprite, causing his sister to squawk like that, by gently bumping her out of my arms so she could run away from me. He wasn't mean about it or anything, just determined to help out his sister. I thought that was so cute.

He would let me pet his gorgeous red eyebrows and earmuffs. He was my Alpha Rooster of 3. Unfortunately, I had to rehome him and his brother because I didn't have enough hens to go around, but he and his brother got to go to a farm together, so that was good that they didn't have to be separated.

Two of my roosters were half white leghorn. It was so fun seeing their other half feather up. Good Guy appears to have barring in the red on his wings, and his hackles had a crimped hair kind of look to them, very different and fun. Good Guy was my 2d rooster to crow, and his crowing was loud and strong. His mating dance was beautiful. I miss him a lot.

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    And here is a picture of my Ladies' Man, Baby. His real name is "Pectin Picton," but he prefers being called "Baby." He was nearly pecked to death when he hatched, by his StepMama and a brother. For the longest time everyone hated him, but his sisters soon came around, and once I rehomed his brothers, his StepMama accepted him, too. Now he is quite popular with his girls.

And, oh, my, he oozes personality plus:

[​IMG]

9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I changed my Avatar photo just now so you can see a close-up of my rooster, "Good Guy." And here is a picture of his brother, "Charlie Brown," when he was still juvenile. His hackles started out cream-colored, and then developed a whole lot of silver in them, and his tail became silvery, too. The farmer I gave him to when I had to rehome him oohed and aahed over his looks, saying he appeared to be Silver-Laced Wyandotte, and he pointed out the white-on-white lacing on his wings to me, which I had not noticed. I have pictures somewhere of him when he was mature. I'll have to try to find them.

This guy was the last of the three roo brothers to start crowing, and his crowing was very deep and less shrill than that of his brothers. He was #2 in the rooster pecking order, and he is the roo who pecked his brother "Pectin Pictorn," when "Pect" first hatched.

[​IMG]

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Woops, no, the above picture I posted is of "Good Guy," not "Charlie Brown." The feet are yellow, and "Charlie Brown" had white, feathery feet. I will have to keep looking for a photo of "Charlie Brown" to post.

Here is a close-up of my "Good Guy:" He was so very handsome.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by