Favus I.D. & treatment? (cont'd from Vent Gleet and treading post)

alaskanest

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
One of my Buff Orpingtons has a couple of problems and I'm looking for advice. Sorry about the kind of gross chicken butt photo in advance.
Problem #1 - Developed a white discharge from vent and redness under vent this summer. Continued laying till about a week ago Have treated with baths to clean the area, treated vent and irritated skin with anti-fungal cream and triple anti-biotic oinment. Have isolated her from other hens and given water with ACV, also given 1/2 to 1tsp. greek yogurt mixed with oats per day. Also tried espom salt flush 3 days in a row - 1 tsp. espom salt in 1 oz water orally with baby medicine syringe.

Problem #2 - Missing feathers on her back. She's been our rooster's favorite hen since day 1 and has never had many feathers on her back as a result. I've worried from time to time if this was maybe some parasite instead, but have checked and never seen anything. Being removed from the other hens she has started to get the beginnings of feathers on her back. I've put a hen apron on her, so hopefully this will help. Not sure what will happen when we take the hen apron off though. Does anyone have any ideas about preventing treading?
In spite of these problems she is perky & normal - thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
I only know about the rooster damage, it's more than likely she's at the bottom of the pecking order and the rooster protects her in exchange for multiple matings. The apron should be kept on during the mating and laying season, removed in the fall during the molt and put back on when her comb starts to redden to indicate she's fertile. Otherwise you could just leave her alone, she will molt and regrow her feathers and maybe next season the rooster won't favor her so much.

So, I originally thought my one hen had vent gleet, then someone suggested that the the white residue around her vent feather shafts might be lice -aaack! I read lots of info about both and examined my flock carefully and now I think several of my my flock may actually have Favus, aka the fungal infection called ringworm in mammals. Vent gleet and Favus are both fungal infections so I'm sure my treatments for my buff hen were helpful if not entirely effective. This is only my second winter with chickens, so I'm hoping more experienced flock owners can look at these pictures and let me know if they think they see Favus and what effective treatments they've used. I've read lots of posts on it, so I've already taken out all old litter from the coop, sprinkled the floor with a slight dusting of permethrin powder (just in case of any lice) and some D.E., layered pine shavings over that and new straw over that for general cleanliness. I've also switched from a font waterer to a nipple waterer and added ACV for immune system health. I examined all my birds yesterday and found no mites or lice or lice egg clusters, but powdered them with D.E. and slight permethrin under tails and wings. I did find about half the birds had that white powdery buildup around some of their feathers on their backs or under tails. (This is before powdering with D.E.) Some also have white patches on their earlobes and some white buildup around their nostrils & one has significant feather loss around her face. All their combs look dry - but it's winter in Alaska, so I guess I thought that was normal. My next steps are to rub any affected areas with an athelete's foot spray powder and try some "Big Ole Bird" probiotics in their water. Any advice would be appreciated.

To me all your birds look fine, except the one is missing head feathers, which appear to be from over mating by the rooster. I don't see anything that looks bad.

Thanks - I'm glad they look okay. I'm just concerned that their earlobes have turned white over the last 2 weeks - they used to be red.

Well maybe someone will chip in any information about that, to me they look like they have dry skin, I feed mine some black oil sunflower seeds for some healthy fat. This time of year their combs shrink and lighten up in color and can have some inconsistencies in color, they molt and go out of production and will recover from the depletion of laying. It's not ringworm, I've seen that treated it and even had it as a kid.

One of my Buff Orpingtons has a couple of problems and I'm looking for advice. Sorry about the kind of gross chicken butt photo in advance. Problem #1 - Developed a white discharge from vent and redness under vent this summer. Continued laying till about a week ago Have treated with baths to clean the area, treated vent and irritated skin with anti-fungal cream and triple anti-biotic oinment. Have isolated her from other hens and given water with ACV, also given 1/2 to 1tsp. greek yogurt mixed with oats per day. Also tried espom salt flush 3 days in a row - 1 tsp. espom salt in 1 oz water orally with baby medicine syringe. Problem #2 - Missing feathers on her back. She's been our rooster's favorite hen since day 1 and has never had many feathers on her back as a result. I've worried from time to time if this was maybe some parasite instead, but have checked and never seen anything. Being removed from the other hens she has started to get the beginnings of feathers on her back. I've put a hen apron on her, so hopefully this will help. Not sure what will happen when we take the hen apron off though. Does anyone have any ideas about preventing treading? In spite of these problems she is perky & normal - thanks for any advice!
I had one with gleet which was from a bacterial infection and worms -Kathy

Back
Top Bottom