Favus - my Serama Hen has it.

She doesnt really seem that bothered by it. She still is preening, and not overly. She eats, poops good, and likes to cuddle up on my neck. I just want to get her better so she can get back to the Serama coop with her friends. I am really hoping the athletes foot cream will work. I am also doing antibiotic ear drops now, as she sometimes seemed a little off balance too. Other than the terrible skin she seems okay.
that’s good! Hopefully she gets better soon!

She doesnt really seem that bothered by it. She still is preening, and not overly. She eats, poops good, and likes to cuddle up on my neck. I just want to get her better so she can get back to the Serama coop with her friends. I am really hoping the athletes foot cream will work. I am also doing antibiotic ear drops now, as she sometimes seemed a little off balance too. Other than the terrible skin she seems okay.

So read on line to work at removing the dead skin, in this case to do that I would have to cut her feathers off. What are anyones thoughts on that and if so where do you cut them, above the quill will they grow back?
Are you positive she doesn't have lice or mites?

Are you positive she doesn't have lice or mites?

I am positive, I have had her living in the house with me since July, and treated her for everything under the sun, mites, worms, lice, you name it.
She is clean as can be for that kind of stuff. Oh I should mention she did have scaly leg mites before all of this. I feel that may have been cause behind this skin infection. I used a scaly leg mite spray once, and then just vaseline. I wonder if she just has some kind of strange reaction to that whole thing with the leg mites. The legs cleared up fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I would not cut her feathers off, but I would think about soaking her in warm soapy water with chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) or Betadine, and mildly rubbing some of the flaky skin off of her. Then apply an antifungal cream such as Monistat 7 daily. Use gloves to treat her since fungus can be spread to yourself and others.

Check her well for lice and mites. Scaly leg mites can also affect the face, but her head does appear to have favus.

I am positive, I have had her living in the house with me since July, and treated her for everything under the son, mites, worms, lice, you name it.
She is clean as can be for that kind of stuff. Oh I should mention she did have scaly leg mites before all of this. I feel that may have been cause behind this skin infection. I used a scaly leg mite spray once, and then just vaseline. I wonder if she just has some kind of strange reaction to that whole thing with the leg mites. The legs cleared up fairly quickly.
I'm thinking the scaly legs mites have spread all over her body/face.

You might get her a private sand box too, in addition to the warm soap bath that Eggcessive recommends. She is contagious, so it would need to be for her only. This would help her exfoliate and I bet it would feel wonderful to her too.

That sounds like a good idea as well. I have had her separated totally since she first showed at begining. I have been soaking and bathing once a week to try and loosen and get off as it comes up. thank you

It is odd, I have found a few stories like this on different places and here. Where these very similar symptoms occurred after the treatment for scaly leg mites. It just makes me wonder about it almost being a bad allergic type reaction or attack their immune system like lyme disease would from ticks in different forms. Including the skin irritation. And just like people, what affects one chicken would not affect all of them. Its always something different and new to learn with chickens. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom