Favus - my Serama Hen has it.

I'm thinking this is a zinc deficiency.

Zinc deficiency in adult chickens causes induced molting and scaly skin.

Zinc deficiencies are also thought to be a cause of eczema and other forms of dermatitis in humans.

If oil can make it worse, why do so many people say soak the legs in oil, and then vaseline them up. (like veg, oil, coconut oil, etc.)
Oil is the best treatment for scaly leg mites, but if it turns into seborrheic dermatitis, then you would want to stop the oils and use a dandruff shampoo to treat this possible secondary issue as oils will make this dermatitis worse.

Oil is the best treatment for scaly leg mites, but if it turns into seborrheic dermatitis, then you would want to stop the oils and use a dandruff shampoo to treat this possible secondary issue as oils will make this dermatitis worse.
o
Oh okay I understand. Yes you are right I may have irratated it more at the start possibly. I am not certain but I think it might finally be getting better. Thank you for that information. :)

UPDATE ON BETTY with skin condition. Betty died this week. She was still eating and pooping fine. Then she just seem to want to sleep the one day. I knew that was it for her, and she was dead by the end of that day. I will never know what she had, and never did figure out how to fix her. :(
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom