Fawn genetics

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
Hey.

Trying to wrap.my head around this genetic stuff. My questions is - do fawn ducks carry a chocolate gene?
I have ducklings that were from a flock of a chocolate drake over blue, fawn and silver hens. Trying to figure out whether the chocolate ducklings in this case would be sex linked?

Thanks

Hey.

Trying to wrap.my head around this genetic stuff. My questions is - do fawn ducks carry a chocolate gene?
I have ducklings that were from a flock of a chocolate drake over blue, fawn and silver hens. Trying to figure out whether the chocolate ducklings in this case would be sex linked?

Thanks
The way I understand it, the answer is yes, fawn ducks carry two chocolate or brown dilution alleles. So, some of your ducklings, those from the blue and silver, are sex-linked but not those that came from the fawn hen. You could get a drake from her carrying chocolate. But, I think she also has two blue alleles (not 100% sure though). So, those ducklings wouldn't be chocolate they would get one blue allele which combined with the chocolate makes lavender, which is much lighter and obvious. This is my lavender hen as a duckling and an adult:
4D9BBCBF-1B10-4BC4-B601-F403E5B059B9_1_105_c.jpeg
1F0A00A0-A48B-49C6-BEE2-00E09B81DBC0_1_105_c.jpeg

So, if that is right, any chocolate duckling would have come from the blue hen (who has only one blue allele and one non-blue) and would then be sex-linked. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom