FDA RECALL OF PURINA POULTRY FEEDS DUE TO POTENTIAL HEALTH RISK April 16th 2014

Shroppy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Summersville, West Virginia
I am wondering if the issue is that GMO grains have recently been found, by Brazilian scientists, to contain MUCH lower levels of minerals and vitamins than even conventionally grown grains and soy, let alone organic. And I am talking up to 80% lower.

LINK to RECALL ARTICLE: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm393549.htm

I choose to feed my ducks an organic layer mix, Countryside Organic Soy-Free Poultry Layer Feed with some healthful additions such as egg shells, Kelp and Nutritional Yeast Culture, ie non-GMO, grown using organic production methods, which is $27 for a 50 lb bag which lasts two months in winter, and 4 months in summer, for my 7 ducks. INGREDIENTS: Organic Field Peas, Organic Corn, Organic Oats, Organic Wheat, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Meal, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Rice Bran, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Yeast Culture, Roughage Product (organic wheat middlings),Organic Sunflower Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite Complex, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus casei, Dried fermentation product of Lactobacillus plantarum, Dried fermentation product of Enterococcus faecium, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus coagulans, Dried fermentation product of Bacillus licheniformis, and Dried fermentation product of Bacillus subtilis.

The PURINA recall refers to "lower-than-expected vitamin and trace mineral levels". Check out Purina Mills Homegrown Layer Crumble which is $23.99 for 50 lbs and consists of the following INGREDIENTS: WHEAT MIDDLINGS - Literally sweepings off the floor of the mill. GROUND CORN, Is not "whole ground," this is misleading, indicates poor quality and will be GMO. CORN DISTILLERS' DRIED GRAINS is what gets left over after Biofuel production from Corn. Will be GMO. DEHULLED SOYBEAN MEAL - Ground processed soybeans with the hulls (fibre) removed. Will be GMO. Calcium Carbonate, Cane Molasses, CANOLA MEAL, What is left after Oil has been expelled. Will be GMO. GRAIN SCREENINGS, read "Floor Sweepings.. any grain.." Will be mostly GMO.. plus a small handful of standard vitamins and poor quality minerals. The point here is that all nutrient calculations of food were set decades ago, and are based on conventional, and not GMO food ingredients such as Soy and Corn. So suddenly they are finding depleted nutrient levels across a whide range of products... "Inadequate vitamin and trace mineral levels can result in health problems, including mortality, in poultry." Not to mention dogs and cats.. and, if someone has a diet that is high in GMOs... easy and getting easier by the day.. then the same could apply. I believe that we, and our pets and livestock, should ALL be avoiding GMO Corn, Sugar (Cane is OK), Soy, Canola and Cottonseed products and their byproducts, unless it specifies "Organic". Opinions welcomed! We are currently seeing an epidemic of dog and cat deaths from poor quality, corn- and soy-based dry foods.. could our domestic animals be the proverbial canaries in the coal mine?

Comments appreciated!

By the way, this is my Facebook group if anyone wants more info on pet food..

Is BENEFUL by Purina KILLING or SICKENING Dogs? Post YOUR Story!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Is.BENEFUL.killing.DOGS/

RECALL ITEMS:

PURINA GAME BIRD STARTENA CRUMBLE
DEL’S POULTRY LAYER PELLET
DEL’S LAYER CRUMBLE
HOME GROWN LAYER 16% CRUMBLE
PURINA LAYENA SUNFRESH RECIPE PELLET
PURINA START & GROW SUNFRESH CRUMBLES
PURINA START & GROW SUNFRESH MP 0.0125% MEDICATED
ALBERS BROILER STARTER/FINISHER CRUMBLES
ALBERS CHICK STARTER/GROWER 18% AMP MEDICATED CRUMBLES 50

Thank you for the information. Luckily, I feed nothing Purina -- not for my dogs, cat, or poultry. I've been suspicious of them for years. I get my poultry feed at a local mill, ground when whole and fresh. Thank you for posting this!
thumbsup.gif

Yes, thanks. I saw they also have a recall out on some dog & cat foods for aflatoxins & possible melamine. Unfortunately I recently fed my chickens a bag of Layena & am just finishing a bag of flockraiser for my guineas. Luckily the chickens just started on some good soy free organic today. I am always mad at myself when I don't run & get my regular organic feed. I swear, never again.

I,m pretty sure the recall only applies to feed produced at one plant out in Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom