FDA says food from cloned animals is safe

I think cloning is dandy technology.

What peeves me about it is that corporations will just use this technology to turn a profit instead of doing anything meaningful with it.

I also think the meat is safe as it will still be meat. Now having a herd of animals which are all clones, that's no good, but I see no reason in why anyone would do that as yes, genetic diversity is essential in a healthy flock or herd. I would assume most farmers would know this and likewise don't continually do brother sister matings.

The conditions of which clones grow up in also will have a big impact on their phenotypes, even if their genotypes are identical. Expressed vs encoded are not always identical as has been pointed out. Plus, if clones are used in a breeding program, like siblings from the same parents, all end up different as a random half of the genes from each parent will be "used" to create the new animals.

As for cloning for profit as not being meaningful, I think that in society, profit is meaningful as often, the profit drives the research that made it possible in the first place. However, when that profit gets abused and some CEO makes 100 million a year on it instead of even only 10million, the system kind of breaks down. We shouldn't get into that here though.

Read up on "dolly" Clone to clone to clone production doesn't work because DNA has a built in clock. The progeny is genetically as old as the DNA donor. Thus a shorter life span and less viable in a shorter period of time.

Quote:
This is true, the poly A tails came up short so the animals prematurely died due to factors of them being "old." I think there is some work though in the field where they are tying to find a way to increase the length of those tails... but that could prove cancerous, literally. But in the bull case, wouldn't they just need the males long enough to gather the semen? Not sure how the industry works but don't think they would ship a bull around.

Quote:
To be worth the expense of cloning, I'm sure they would want the bulls around as long as possible to gather as many seasons of semen as possible. Frozen semen has limited viability compared with fresh. It makes you wonder what they're going to do when the clones die -- re-clone or decide it's time to find a new bull to dominate the breed?

It's all the better that this has happened for us small producers. It's going to push more customers out of convential channels, searching for wholesome food products. We will all probably see improved business because of it.

I honestly doubt any of us will ever eat a cloned animal (why? what's the point? animals reproduce pretty well on their own). But, just the prospect of it will push more people the organic direction.

True, more for the small producer! I almost think most of that clone stuff we see in the production animal and pet sector (like clone you cat!) is just putting a bad light on what other sectors of cloning are up to. Like disease research and that whole basic science thing. It is a good way to draw attention and stir controversy though.

If I were given the choice of cloned meat or non cloned meat, I'd pick the non cloned stuff hands down every time. Even if it was "inferior".

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should" - Jurassic Park

It may "seem" safe but it is a very big concern of mine and my reason for starting my own meat and layer flock.

Quote:
Exactly, I would think it's just a wee bit premature to surmise that the meat is "safe" when cloning is a relatively new technology. Those who say it's "safe" should eat it for the rest of their lives. Then depending on how long they live and what medical ailments they have at the time of death will be a good indicator of how "safe" it is. How many other things were "safe" and now are not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom