Fear confirmed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by championny, Apr 22, 2008.

1. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Following the little voice in my head, I took jumpy out after he stopped moving. Opened him up and out came this green goo. He died in the shell and I feel like when he started jumping and couldn't get out, I should have helped him. [​IMG]

I am taking the Delawares as a loss since none are moving and I have Welsummers and Toulouse to worry about. This has to be the saddest thing and to be honest, I think after this hatch next hatch, I am through. Just downright depressing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I am so sorry!!! It's always a tough decision on what to do.

jackie

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    So sorry. I know how depressing it can be to work so hard and have it turn out badly. I hope that your Welsummers and Toulouse hatch and are healthy. [​IMG] Sending good vibes that you have a good hatch for your remaining babies.

Dorothy

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm so sorry. I'm doing my first hatch. I'm scared what i'll do when one dies...I'm sending good vibes to your other eggies. Send some to my silkies and frizzles.

5. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Despite my updated heavy loss, I want to wish everyone out there a happy and safe hatch. I have one Delaware that may make it, and another I am not sure. My goose eggs I think are a bust and my Welsummers are only one confirmed, everything else looks like they're clear.

Whew, what a depressing day! [​IMG]

Despite this, I am getting ready to order some Delawares from Ideal. I am on their waiting list and I am more excited to do this. (Too bad they are out of geese) I may have to wait a bit, but at least not at the incubator. [​IMG]

So, the Toulouse look like a no go and I may get a Welsummer out of this. Then I have my two from my bunch, but I don't think they will develop or if their fertilized. But. We'll see what happens. With my luck, it will be my own that do.

I guess the part that is really upsetting is all the money I spent too on eggs and all. Little over $100 including the incubator. This was a perfect week because I am off of work too. [​IMG] However, I think I will use this as a learning experience.

Again, good hatch vibes to everyone out there and I will be looking for some success stories and pics!

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear about your bad hatch. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. WriterRiderChick

WriterRiderChick Out Of The Brooder

Hugs to you. I am so sorry to hear this, and I went through almost the exact same thing today with a late hatching Silkie (day 24). Poor little chick seemed to be making (slow) progress zipping the shell, and I wish I had intervened because I found it dead in the shell this morning. It broke my heart, and I just bawled, so I really understand where you're coming from. [​IMG]

8. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Awwww, I was so rooting for the little guy. Hope the others hatch and cheer you up.

9. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Here is what I confirmed. Out of the last 12, three back in the incubator, another dead embryo, two stopped growing (just little masses) and the yest not fertile. A lot of infertile's in this batch.

I had 8 out of 14 infertile. That's quite a bit. I am going to speak to the one who sold them to me to see about the situation.

Will keep you posted on the others. Hopefully they will just be a late hatch.

10. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    I'm sorry about that.

My little "Lone Ranger" (One of Twelve to make it this far) is nearing Day 21 and I see that I have so much to worry about. I have done a lot of cheating (candling late into the hatch) and even this evening I saw little bits of movement before I left him alone. (The temp and humidity holds rather steady in my home-made incubator).

Anywho....I appreciate the positive vibes.
    And will send the same to you on your new batch.

"If you can watch the things you gave your life to broken, and stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools."
    -Rudyard Kipling

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by