1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather damage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Heads, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Quote:
    What type of meds for the canker? Metronidazole?
    How much ventilation does the closet have? Are they able to get fresh air from the outside? I also notice in pictures they have a heat lamp? How warm is that, and do they have access to natural light as well? I see you are in Alaska, what weather conditions were they kept in before you got them?

What type of food/treats do you normally feed?
    DE is not generally effective for worm infestations, you will need to treat them with a dewormer/wormer.
    Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken is an excellent wormer. Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) is also good at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row. (I've also given you links for different types of worms (has photos) and treatment for them).

Can you provide them with a tub of dirt for dust bathing. You can add a bit of DE if you wish, but I would watch it especially if you have ventilation problems and the chickens have had a respiratory problem, DE (IMO) is very hard on the breathing (for them and us humans). I prefer just plain 'ol dirt with wood ash. If you don't have any dirt, sand could be used.

Some helpful articles on worm treatments:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-worming.html
    https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens/

2. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Bring them to the vet to get weighed for antibiotics and the right dose of deepened ASAP!

3. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What is deepened?

4. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Sorry[​IMG]. Meant de-wormer. Didn't check for typos.

5. Chicken Heads

Chicken Heads Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2015
    Alaska

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Especially Read post # 8 of this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/334337/treating-for-mites-and-de-worming-at-the-same-time

QUOTED BY DAWG53 "if you use ivermectin prior to using wazine17 and your chickens are possibly infested with worms,you could possibly kill your chickens from the toxicity from the dead worm overload. Ivermectin kills many many types of worms. Wazine17 gets rid of one type of worm,the most common type that chickens have...roundworms. You use the wazine first to lessen the wormload to prevent toxicity,then 2 weeks later use the ivermectin pour on to kill roundworm larva and a host of other worms. BTW, wazine only paralyzes roundworms,ivermectin kills them all,except tapeworms."

I think I would treat with Wazine FIRST, then go with the Ivermectin to rid of the feather mites. If you can get intestinal health under control, then your birds will be able to use their nutrition more efficiently to help fight whatever illnesses that may linger.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  7. Chicken Heads

Dec 28, 2015
    Alaska
    ive already use the ivermectin last night[​IMG] I hope they are not too invested. [​IMG]Don't want to lose my birds.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Careful. Disease / parasite issues can be unpleasant but be careful to avoid over treatment. Initially external parasites were target then suddenly internal parasites now with concern of birds surviving treatment.

What are birds currently being fed?

1 person likes this.
  10. Chicken Heads

Dec 28, 2015
    Alaska
    mix scratch with more layer pellets veggies and few dried meal worms every evening... I have multi drench in water. I think once I get the quill mites and worms under control they should make a fast recovery... Fingers crossed hope for the best... Thank u

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by