feather eaters

Quote:
I have 4 Roo's, how many feathers would you like?

All the hackles ya got!
wink.png

Did not want to start a new thread, so I will put this here.

My pullets don't seem to come out of the coop and eat unless I am out there. If they are they are very sneaky because I have been peeking at them throughout the last couple of days and have not seen them.

Could it be the high temps lately (90's) that keep them in the coop? Or do they need a rooster to lead them out during the day?

As far as my girls go... they lead out when leaving the coop. Now mine are free ranged so they can't wait to leave the house. The hens are the first out the door, and runnin out at that.
They require lots of shade during these hot temps. Is your coop cool enough for them, have a fan blowing etc? If I left mine in the house all day they would cook. That's one reason I free range.
As far as feather eating, I've caught mine doing it on occasion too.

Last edited:
Quote:
My girls HATE being in the coop during the day. They like to lay in the shade outside. You must have a nice shaded house for them, it may just be the heat. I say just put some food in the house with them.
idunno.gif

Yes, the coop is a lot cooler then the run. The coop is in a very shaded spot and has a fan blowing in the window. The run is mostly shaded but still gets a little sun a couple times a day.

I have thought about just putting food and water in the coop and I guess I will while its hot.
But I just hate that they are inside so much cause I have to run em out whenever I want to see them. They are still new to me and I like watching them.
big_smile.png

Mine do the same thing (stay inside the coop during the hot part of the day). I provide shade in the run, but the coop is a lot cooler. At least I got that part right when building it!

If they see me, they all run out into the run, and will eat while I am there, or if I bring them anything. Otherwise they just rest during the midday hours.

I hope everything is ok with them doing that. So far so good anyway.

trish

Yeah they appear to be fine. They finally came out on there own about 2 hours before dark yesterday to take a dust bath and poke around what little patches of grass thats left. I did put some food and water in with them so they didn't have to get out in this heat.

Back
Top Bottom