I used Pinless Peepers on an aggressive hen that was intentionally going after the other hens. It is drastic, I think. But I tried isolation, jail, nothing seemed to work with this hen. Her temperament never did change and she lived in these peepers nearly all her life. If you are trying to only break a bad habit however, these might work on your hen, I would keep them on her for several months until she forgets about feathers.

They can see to either side, up and down but not with both eyes, nor can they see directly ahead. Makes it hard to aim and bite or pull feathers. It takes a couple of days for them to learn how to eat, drink and judge distance. They do get used to wearing them however they will seem a bit miserable until they adapt.

View attachment 3390221
Thanks for the reply! What a pretty hen.
Are these peepers made of a hard plastic and do they hurt or damage the bird’s nostrils?

Thanks for the reply! What a pretty hen.
Are these peepers made of a hard plastic and do they hurt or damage the bird’s nostrils?
Don't let her good looks fool you, she was evil! :lol:

They are hard plastic. If they are put on correctly, on the middle of the nostrils, gently, they won't do damage. I boiled mine first to soften them, otherwise you need the special pliers to put them on. You will need someone to hold her when you put them on.

I just finished two weeks of using these peepers on my 16 hens and they were put on correctly and almost every hen has some form of damage from bruising to swelling, etc. I do not recommend them and will not be using them again. Heart broken over it.

I just finished two weeks of using these peepers on my 16 hens and they were put on correctly and almost every hen has some form of damage from bruising to swelling, etc. I do not recommend them and will not be using them again. Heart broken over it.
Oh gosh, I am so sorry! :hugs I hope your girls are ok! Maybe your peepers were manufactured differently than mine, my birds never had trouble. I purchased mine 11 years ago, they may be made differently than yours. I am so sorry.

Oh gosh, I am so sorry! :hugs I hope your girls are ok! Maybe your peepers were manufactured differently than mine, my birds never had trouble. I purchased mine 11 years ago, they may be made differently than yours. I am so sorry.
Thank you! It’s very possible. I ordered mine off Amazon and although it seems others have had success without damage I was shocked at the damage. I added a photo here of my one girl that was the worst for you to see.

Attachments

• 5D9723A8-8B2D-4369-93EC-FA47CE0746CD.jpeg
    5D9723A8-8B2D-4369-93EC-FA47CE0746CD.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 7
Thank you! It’s very possible. I ordered mine off Amazon and although it seems others have had success without damage I was shocked at the damage. I added a photo here of my one girl that was the worst for you to see.
Oh this is terrible! :hugs She should heal over time, inflammation takes a while. As long as she can breathe ok, she should return to normal after a couple weeks. You can give her 1 baby aspirin once a day for a few days to help with pain or inflammation. Baby aspirin only, not adult.

I used Pinless Peepers on an aggressive hen that was intentionally going after the other hens. It is drastic, I think. But I tried isolation, jail, nothing seemed to work with this hen. Her temperament never did change and she lived in these peepers nearly all her life. If you are trying to only break a bad habit however, these might work on your hen, I would keep them on her for several months until she forgets about feathers.

They can see to either side, up and down but not with both eyes, nor can they see directly ahead. Makes it hard to aim and bite or pull feathers. It takes a couple of days for them to learn how to eat, drink and judge distance. They do get used to wearing them however they will seem a bit miserable until they adapt.

View attachment 3390221
Did you leave them on? I read to take them off in 2 weeks. I just took mine off of Mommy Dearest. She was fine with them on, but the minute they came off today, she’s back to pecking/pulling feathers. Her beak also looks damaged. I used the big ones, wonder if should have used the small ones?

Back
Top Bottom