Feather Eating?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JodyJo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    One of my pullets, about 8 weeks, a BR, is eating feathers...is this normal? I never noticed it before, and did today. She is eating the ones that fly around the coop and off the ground, not all of them, but is this behavior/eating normal? I am fairly new to chickens and definatly new to this!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:As long as it is eating the ones that are blowing around or on the ground your fine. They will do that sometimes out of boredom or thinking it is "pray".
    Feathers are also a good souse of protein so it isn't going to hurt them.

Chris

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

x2

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    great thanks...she is my "mean" BR...she may go bye bye if she doesn't stop pecking me constantly...but good info....thanks!

5. EatMorSteak

EatMorSteak Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    I saw my OEGB roo eat a feather just today. I thought it was odd myself. [​IMG]

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    My chickens do it every once and a while but never peck at each others feathers so I would not be concerned unless you see them attacking other chickens.
    We should start a show called "Chickens do the darndest things"
    They do something new and interesting every day

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    boredom and lack of protein will make them do this.

8. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Those little "fluff feathers" that float around must mock a flying insect. I think it's instinct to catch it and eat it. Mine do this almost daily.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Chickens eat feathers they normally won't eat the wing feathers but only the small fluffy ones. You just have to hope they don't start eating each others feathers. Mine eat each others feathers. I'm not sure why they do this. Everyone says boredom & lack of protein could be but I question this statement. I think its just a bad habit they start. Like egg eating. My chickens eat plenty of protein & free range everyday so that's why I question this behaviour. Mine simply eat the feathers from each others vents & never make each other bleed they have been doing this forever. I have no idea how to stop it. Wish I did I could make a ton of money because from what I've read there's alot of feathers being eaten. I have boxes of gimmicks that I purchased to try & correct this behaviour but nothing has worked so far.I always ask if someone knows how to stop this behaviour please PM me. I'm not gonna cull they still lay eggs each & everyday so why would I cull. The only draw back is they look terrible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by