Feather Eating?

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
One of my pullets, about 8 weeks, a BR, is eating feathers...is this normal? I never noticed it before, and did today. She is eating the ones that fly around the coop and off the ground, not all of them, but is this behavior/eating normal? I am fairly new to chickens and definatly new to this!

Quote:
As long as it is eating the ones that are blowing around or on the ground your fine. They will do that sometimes out of boredom or thinking it is "pray".
Feathers are also a good souse of protein so it isn't going to hurt them.

Chris

Last edited:
great thanks...she is my "mean" BR...she may go bye bye if she doesn't stop pecking me constantly...but good info....thanks!

I saw my OEGB roo eat a feather just today. I thought it was odd myself.
big_smile.png

My chickens do it every once and a while but never peck at each others feathers so I would not be concerned unless you see them attacking other chickens.
We should start a show called "Chickens do the darndest things"
They do something new and interesting every day

Chickens eat feathers they normally won't eat the wing feathers but only the small fluffy ones. You just have to hope they don't start eating each others feathers. Mine eat each others feathers. I'm not sure why they do this. Everyone says boredom & lack of protein could be but I question this statement. I think its just a bad habit they start. Like egg eating. My chickens eat plenty of protein & free range everyday so that's why I question this behaviour. Mine simply eat the feathers from each others vents & never make each other bleed they have been doing this forever. I have no idea how to stop it. Wish I did I could make a ton of money because from what I've read there's alot of feathers being eaten. I have boxes of gimmicks that I purchased to try & correct this behaviour but nothing has worked so far.I always ask if someone knows how to stop this behaviour please PM me. I'm not gonna cull they still lay eggs each & everyday so why would I cull. The only draw back is they look terrible.

Back
Top Bottom