Feather Eating....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinkyFeathers, Dec 19, 2011.

1. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    I just got new chickens about 45 minutes ago. They came from some guy my dad works with.
    A lot of them have raggedy feathers and floppy combs so I was watching them (they are being quarantined by the way) and I saw the leader (I think) pick out a feather off another one and eat it. They look way skinnier than my other chickens.

I'm thinking they have bad nutrition then??? What can I do to help them not eat each other's feathers?? I'm feeding them layer feed, grit, and I threw in lots of treats. Plus I give all my chickens scratch every day to get them nice and fat for winter. Also I'm giving them a vitamin supplement in their water.

I really don't want new sick chickens on my hands. Please help! Thank you.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I think feather eating is part nutritional and part boredom. I had some chicks that would eat every feather that fell on the floor and I think they were over crowded (I was growing them out for a friend, there were 40 in an area that was 8x8) and as soon as he took his 30, I didn't have any more problems. You may want to increase their protein and give them lots of space and lots of distractions. Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  3. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Pure boredom. Sounds like you're doing everything right but it's just dominance and boredom kicking in [​IMG] Once they are able to be out I don't think you'll have this problem [​IMG]

4. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks! [​IMG]

I'll have to keep them busy then

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Dust them with some Sevin Dust and the offer them some feed that has some animal protein and see if that helps.
    Chickens will sometimes pick each others feathers if they have mites or if the lacking animal proteins in there diet.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by