Feather Eating....

TinkyFeathers

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
I just got new chickens about 45 minutes ago. They came from some guy my dad works with.
A lot of them have raggedy feathers and floppy combs so I was watching them (they are being quarantined by the way) and I saw the leader (I think) pick out a feather off another one and eat it. They look way skinnier than my other chickens.

I'm thinking they have bad nutrition then??? What can I do to help them not eat each other's feathers?? I'm feeding them layer feed, grit, and I threw in lots of treats. Plus I give all my chickens scratch every day to get them nice and fat for winter. Also I'm giving them a vitamin supplement in their water.

I really don't want new sick chickens on my hands. Please help! Thank you.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I think feather eating is part nutritional and part boredom. I had some chicks that would eat every feather that fell on the floor and I think they were over crowded (I was growing them out for a friend, there were 40 in an area that was 8x8) and as soon as he took his 30, I didn't have any more problems. You may want to increase their protein and give them lots of space and lots of distractions. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Pure boredom. Sounds like you're doing everything right but it's just dominance and boredom kicking in
wink.png
Once they are able to be out I don't think you'll have this problem
wink.png

Dust them with some Sevin Dust and the offer them some feed that has some animal protein and see if that helps.
Chickens will sometimes pick each others feathers if they have mites or if the lacking animal proteins in there diet.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom