Feather Eating?

Lanissa86

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
For awhile now I have been observing my chickens eat feathers that fall off one another! The first time I saw one do it I though for sure she was going to choke, so I grabbed her and pulled it out of her mouth! Yuk.
sickbyc.gif
Well, I saw another swallow the feather whole before I had a chance to stop her and she seemed perfectly fine with it... Is this normal chicken behavior or are my girls just weird?
hu.gif

Hey, I would like to know this too! I didn't realize chickens ate feathers. I have one in particular who will sometimes stalk behind the other fuzzy butts to pluck one out for a snack. It's not like they aren't well feed or something. Is something maybe lacking in their diet?

BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds)- are a good source of Methione, which is needed for feather growth, and protein. These are usually the main reasons for feather pecking.

It is normal for them to eat the feathers AFTER they fall off each other.

It is NOT normal for them to peck at each other to pluck out each other's feathers.

Either way, during molting season an extra handful or two of sunflower seeds can help make sure they have good nutrition for growing new feathers.

Thanks! I will be sure to pick up some Black Oil sunflower Seeds at the Feed store! It was grossing me out how they walk around finding fallen feathers and even chasing each other for them! Yuk! They get plenty of yard bugs and feed, plus grit and snacks...I guess its not enough for my "pigs" lol. Thanks again.

This topic comes up comes up once in a while. I respectfully disagree that they eat feathers because of a dietary deficiency, assuming your chickens are being fed a balanced feed specifically formulated for chickens. Yours are also getting a natural diet, from your description.

Here's a study that shows feathers act as an insoluble dietary fiber that aid in food passage. Shore birds who eat fish also eat their feathers to protect their intestines from the sharp bones. It's a common bird behavior and nothing to be concerned about. As mentioned above, feather picking is a problem. http://ps.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/85/1/21

Back
Top Bottom