Feather eating

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SuperLuke, Aug 13, 2014.

1. SuperLuke

SuperLuke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Is it bad if a chicken eats the other chickens feathers? Like is it bad for there insides?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

While feathers contain 85% protein, they are not really digestible. If a bird is in need of a lot of protein, such as during molting, they will eat feathers. It won't kill them, but it is really not good for them. Try to keep the feathers picked up around the coop and run and give them more protein. You can add some cooked ground turkey or beef a couple times a week and this should help to curb the feather eating.

Eating feathers can also become a habit. So do your best to stop this feather eating.

Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrows advice. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X3 chickens who are eating feathers usually are lacking protein. Feed them meat scrapes, mealworms, oatmeal, quinoa or eggs. Eating feathers is not a good thing as it can cause crop problems so deal with this soon.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by